Discovery Telecon 2011-02-08
From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Setup Regular Telecon Date/Time?
Proposed: 4:00pm ET / 1:00pm PT on the 2nd Tuesday of each month
ESIP Collaboration Survey
- What were the main activities of this group over the last year (2010)? The main event was the convergence of Federated Search, Servicecasting and Datacasting into the Discovery Cluster. Any big successes or highlights from the group? Any tangible outputs/work products? The number of servers and clients supporting ESIP Federated Search continued to increase.
- How did you record these activities (wiki, on another collaboration site, list-serv or private e-mail, no record)? Activities were recorded on the wiki, albeit sporadically.
- Do you work with other organizations (GEO, OGC, etc.)? Is this primarily in a supporting role, peer-to-peer, or leadership relationship? We currently do not work with other organizations, but may work with OGC in the future.
- How do you engage new people in your group? We use workshops and breakouts at the ESIP meeting. Do you regularly invite new participation in your group? Occasionally, but not regularly.
- How do you communicate within your group (wiki, list-serv, telecons, meetings, one-to-one e-mails, gotomeeting)? WIki, list-serv, telecons, one-to-one emails, and ESIP breakouts. Do you have a standing meeting?Soon...time is TBD.
- What would make it easier to work within your group (calendar of events, task list, easier editor, RSS feeds for events or news, forums, staffing, more volunteer leadership, other)? Voting would be especially useful (e.g. Drupal module); auditable trail for decision making. More robust forum software (e.g. phpBB), allowing better segregation of threads.
- Are there tools or technologies that we should be pursuing to improve your group’s collaborative activities? Wiggio, Drupal (can get modules from Drupal experts within ESIP)
- Are you interested in trying new collaboration technologies as a tester?
- We have setup a general Discovery Governance page.
- Governance steps posted here: Discovery Governance Process Steps.
- We want to keep it simple.
- Initial Discovery Editors posted on wiki.
Discovery Change Proposals
- Information on Discovery Change Proposals (aka DCPs) posted on wiki.
- suggestion to move DCPs to their own page. allows us to capture comments better.
- Initial discovery specifications
- Discovery_Cast_Atom_Response_Format version 1.1
Discussion of DCPs
- Two options discussed:
- keep in email listserv. form wiki, link to mailing list archives.
- use esipfed.org's media wiki Discussions tab page.
- both methods have their benefits and drawbacks.
- decided to try using the media wiki Discussions tab page
ran out of time.