From Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP)
<< Back to the Discovery Cluster page
Premise[edit | edit source]
- Multiple data centers now involved in the various Discovery services.
- Issues related with interoperability, distributed centers, different standards.
Goals[edit | edit source]
- Want open and interoperable Discovery standard
- We should agree on a process. Then follow it.
Process[edit | edit source]
We have adopted a governance process similar to the Open Provenance Model governance.
The governance process encompasses the following:
- Submission of new proposals
- Forum to review proposals
- Author revision based on feedback
- Voting on change proposals
- Ratification or rejection by editors
- Changes to existing standards are done as change proposals.
- All steps are posted to the mailing list and wiki.
See the Discovery Governance Process Steps for more info.
Discovery Change Proposal (DCP)[edit | edit source]
All changes to the Discovery specifications must go through the governance process starting with a Discovery Change Proposal (DCP). Each DCP must include the following context for reference:
- A unique identifier. An incrementing number is commonly used in these types of community-based processes.
- Timestamp of when proposal was submitted.
- Proposal review period (implies a deadline)
- Current governance step (submitted, proposal review, revision, vote, final review, ratified, rejected)
- Problem addressed
- Proposed solution
- Rationale for the solution
- Validation for specification (where appropriate. e.g. XML Schema validator)
See the Discovery Change Proposals list.
Editors[edit | edit source]
Editors on the governance board coordinate the governance process. The responsibilities may include:
- Working with the community on accepting input for change proposals
- Drafting the proposals
- Writing up proposed specifications
- Coordinating the discussions
- Coordinating the voting process
- Ratifying the proposal
- Implementing some of the changes
See the current Discovery Editors.
Documentation[edit | edit source]
All governance processes shall be transparent. All discussions will be available on the Discovery mailing list and Discovery Cluster wiki.