Executive Committee of the ESIP Federation
- Emily Law, President
- Christine White, Vice President
- Bill Teng, Chair, Finance
- Danie Kinkade, Chair, Partnership
- Ken Keiser, Chair, C&B
- Bob Arko, Type I Rep
- Sky Bristol, Type II Rep
- Ted Habermann, Type III Rep
- Justin Goldstein, Chair, Data Stewardship
- LuAnn Dahlman, Chair, Education
- Ethan Davis, Chair, IT & I
- Denise Hills, Chair, Nominations
- Soren Scott, Chair, Products and Services
- Tom Narock, Chair, Semantic Technologies
2nd Tuesday of the month at 3 pm Eastern
- Next Telecon, February 9, 3 pm EDT
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone. https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/411606165
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (312) 757-3121
Access Code: 411-606-165
- Approval of April Minutes
- President's Report
- The Foundation for Earth Science: FES board meeting was held on April 29, 2016. It covered ESIP report (sponsors visit, summer meeting, endorsement of “Open Data in Big Data World”, ESIP evaluation), Foundation/ESIP organization structure update, finance report and ESIP Director report (proposals, letter of collaboration, staff update and training, near term activities).
- Open, Public, Electronic and Necessary (OPEN) Government Data Act: The Center for Data Innovation (CDI) was seeking co-signers in their letter of support for this legislation to be introduced into the U.S. House and Senate. Upon reviewing the proposed legislation and summary, the FES board members unanimously voted in favor to support this bill. The proposal, summary and support letter can be found at: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B_2czh6FTo34OE1HTWE1OXlodk0. CDI published a press release regarding the letter of support.
- JPL new leadership: Michael M. Watkins, the Clare Cockrell Williams Centennial Chair in Aerospace Engineering and Director of the Center for Space Research at The University of Texas at Austin, and a former leader at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, has been appointed to serve as Director of JPL and Vice President at Caltech effective July 1, 2016.
- Staff Report
- Erin - Evaluation is going well. Interviews are in progress and survey questions need review. Survey will go out next week. Last quarter was a heavy fundraising/proposal writing quarter. We submitted two proposals for basic ESIP support + Testbed work, co-I on three NSF proposals that would utilize ESIP framework and wrote 9 letters of support. Confirmed two of three plenary speakers - Ben Preston, ORNL, Ellen Prager, Earth2Ocean and Jon Marino (To Be Confirmed).
- Annie B. - Working on membership database; Next round of evaluation testbed will kick-off in July; Summer Meeting draft schedule is posted.
- Rebecca - Developing a Communication Strategy; AGU Data Blog (looking for contributing authors); Led development of 2015 Annual Report - feedback welcome.
- Dan - Migrated ESIP to GoToMeeting; Working on the ImHere Check-in System. This is ready for use on ESIP telecons to begin familiarizing with tool.
- Annie K. - Recovering well! Back to work on Summer Meeting logistics.
- Committee Reports
- Discussions with Ficom (Bill), P&S (Soren), and others about the location and management of policies and procedures (P&P) documents on the wiki
- Starting to draft process documents, based on our discussion notes over the past year, to be included in C&B's policies and procedures (P&P) wiki page.
- Will hold an informal Ficom meeting at ESIP Summer.
- Either together with this meeting or separately, will make Ficom available to any group planning to submit a budget for FY17.
- For discussion: Excom (I think) has discussed the possibility of scheduling an informal session at ESIP Summer for those groups that got funding for FY16 to give a short report.
- Reviewed, vetted and posted five new membership applications: Geospatialmetadata.com, Cyber Infrastructure Research and Development Lab for Earth Sciences (CIRDLES), Open Geospatial Consortium, Ronin Institutue, and EarthCube. Posting of last application went up on 22 April, will be viewed for 30days for comment, then move on to voting by Assembly. Next meeting will focus on review and update of new member packet in time for new member distribution; to include addition of welcome letter from Emily, and completion of 'code of conduct' drafted by previous committee.
- Data Stewardship
- During the April monthly meeting, Data Stewardship Committee member, Ge Peng, provided a progress report regarding the work on Data Stewardship Maturity Matrix (DSMM). The key highlights included the current structure of the DSMM as well as the pilot program that was being conducted at the National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) in order to demonstrate the utility and establish baselines for DSMM in the NCEI environment/context. Peng also shared that there would be two DSMM related sessions at the ESIP 2016 Summer Meeting. In addtion to Peng's updates on the DSMM, the Data Stewardship Committee also had a guest speaker, Jon Jablonski, from the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB). Jon is the Head of Map & Image Laboratory at UCSB, and his presentation discussed the types of geographic information system and spatial data services that are being provided at UCSB. Finally, before concluding the meeting, Committee member, Ruth Duerr, shared with the meeting attendees regarding the Data Citation and Attribution in Linguistics (https://sites.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/data-citation/workshop2) Workshop she attended. Ruth felt the group might have the potential to be the Coalition for Publishing Data in the Earth and Space Sciences (COPDESS) for the linguistic discipline.
- Held our second of two webinars on using recreational drones for STEM on April 26. ~25 participants.
- 14 of our 15 workshop slots were snapped up within a day of the second Webinar. We'll cap registration at 20.
- Our strategic plan was finalized and posted.
- Added our suggestions/lessons learned to the Policies and Procedures listing, and added a category tag of "PoliciesAndProcedures" (this tag can be changed, but I thought it was a good idea to start with something)
- Waiting on discussion with ESIP President about establishing the next NomCom chair and committee
- Products & Services
- Released the Spring 2016 RFP.
- Drafting ESIP Testbed and RFP Policies and Procedures
- Co-organizing an ESIP/EarthCube Software Assessment Workshop (June, Boulder, CO) and will provide report out from that activity as well as incorporate assessment feedback into the ESIP software evaluation guidelines as part of that ongoing activity.
- Semantic Technology
- In the process of evaluating community needs for an ontology portal. Currently drafting an Evaluation Plan.
- Beginning the process of migrating semantic resources to the cloud
- Mid-term goal is to better quantify what community really needs and what infrastructure is required to support this
- Type Rep Reports
- Type I
- Type II
- Type III - Met May 5 for first Type 3 telecon. Small, but productive call. Organizing a type gathering at ESIP Summer and hope to have a more formal activity at the Winter Meeting.
- Other Business
- GEO Program Committee Report - Kathy
- Member Map - Christine/Annie B - This idea sprouted during our April Sponsor meetings, when a sponsor asked about the spatial distribution of ESIP members. Annie is working with the existing ESIP member data for an initial visualization of where members are located; also, in the spirit of Science Communication, she is researching different map styles to share and visualize other ESIP stories
- Creative ways to crowdsource RFIs?
- Any other business?
2016 Work Plan
Past ExCom Workspaces
To see prior year work plans and links