Executive Committee of the ESIP Federation
- Emily Law, President
- Christine White, Vice President
- Bill Teng, Chair, Finance
- Danie Kinkade, Chair, Partnership
- Ken Keiser, Chair, C&B
- Bob Arko, Type I Rep
- Sky Bristol, Type II Rep
- Ted Habermann, Type III Rep
- Justin Goldstein, Chair, Data Stewardship
- LuAnn Dahlman, Chair, Education
- Ethan Davis, Chair, IT & I
- Denise Hills, Chair, Nominations
- Soren Scott, Chair, Products and Services
- Tom Narock, Chair, Semantic Technologies
2nd Tuesday of the month at 3 pm Eastern
- Next Telecon, February 9, 3 pm EDT
To join the Excom meeting via Webex:
- Go to http://esipfed.webex.com
- Click on the Meeting Center Tab
- Find the Executive Committee meeting and Click Join
- Enter your name, email and meeting code (23138379)
You will be prompted for audio either through your computer (follow prompts on screen) or by call in by phone (instructions below).
- Dial: 877-668-4493
- Meeting Code: 23138379#
- Reminder that Dec Minutes were approved
- President's Report
- Funding opportunity: USGS is interested in standing up a couple of prototypes to demonstrate a PROV registry and an Annotation catalog. The products of these prototypes could potentially become community resources for ESIP. Sky Bristol, Steve Aulenbach, Erin, Annie, Christine and Emily held an initial telecom to discuss how ESIP can facilitate and support this effort. The conversation included how testbed framework can facilitate the prototypes, evaluation of the deliverables, and communication of such distributed architecture and products. USGS is currently crafting a project outline that will allow us to formulate a detailed plan to support their needs. Products and services committee will be involved. No action for ESIP at this time.
- Committee chairs, working group and cluster chairs/co-chairs (may be Type reps as well?) to update work plan to align with ESIP direction in order to achieve ESIP goals laid out in the strategic plan approved by the assembly during 2016 winter meeting.
- Excom to submit written report to ExCom wiki shortly after receiving monthly call notification, and read the reports prior to the call in an effort to allow more time for discussion.
- ExCom to review and add ideas to 2016 work list on the ExCom wiki. We’d like your inputs/feedback as well as help to prioritize this year’s work. This will also assist in identifying opportunities to get involved.
- Staff Report
- Committee Reports
- C&B -
- No activities since winter meeting
- Will be holding telecon with new C&B members (soon) to discuss (1) updating bylaws with approved changes, (2) draft of a "Standing Rules" document to address ESIP best practices and procedures that are not appropriate for bylaws (will discuss with FICom as noted below), (3) prepare for discussion on changes to federation-foundation relationship as necessary
- Status of FY16 proposed budgets: (1) 3 approved (Drupal WG, Data Stewardship Comm, Education Comm); (2) 1 to be submitted (Semantic Technologies Comm); and (3) supplemental travel budget from DS Comm (being reviewed).
- Request to be sent to those groups who received funding for FY15 for reports on results. This item is on Ficom's list of processes to be (a bit) more formalized.
- Ficom to follow up with Ken K. re: C&B initiative on compiling ~best practices (or SOPs) for all committees (+other groups?) in some esip wiki space. Aligns very nicely with Ficom's formalization efforts.
- Data Stewardship
- This brief slide deck outlines the committee's plans to encourage the use of recreational drones for STEM. Planning is underway for two Webinars and a summer workshop for educators.
- Products & Services
- Discussing ESIP's potential participation in OGC Testbed 12 and 13.
- Continuing efforts to expand the tech evaluation process through the P&S testbed with support from interested ESIP members across clusters/committees.
- Two governance questions to raise: a) (related to Semantic Tech committee discussions) Is there a need or desire to define the RFP and review board processes for all committees, through an ESIP-wide standing rules document? and b) regardless of decision regarding A, can we resolve the outstanding issues around privacy items such as the submitted proposals?
- Semantic Technology
- Used discussions in January to think about the structure of the committee. Several liaisons to internal and external groups were identified. Had initial discussions with Testbed and Products and Services to leverage expertise. Budget was drafted and sent to Ficom. Identified a few high priority topics to pursue in coming months. Deploying a core set of ESIP Semantic Technologies such as Ontology Repository and Linked Data efforts. One key topic that has emerged is how to govern ESIP semantic resources. Will be discussed at February telecon. Continue discussions with EarthCube Semantics Working group and beginning connections with RDA and OGC.
- C&B -
- Type Rep Reports
- Type I
- Type II
- Type III
- Other Business
2016 Work Plan
2015 Other Topics
- Changes in group memberships after Winter meetings are out of sync with FY. This specifically affects Ficom but could be a general issue as well.
- Need/desirability for ESIP solicitations for specific work to be done (perhaps derived from Strategic Plan)?
2015 Work Plan
- Strategic Plan ( Emily lead, with Erin and Type Reps.)
- Finalize Collaboration Area and Type Rep 2015 plans (Erin/Collab leads, Type Reps)
- Fed/Foundation Agreement (Peter ESIP lead, Karl Benedict FES Board Chair, FES Lead. Erin support)
- Federation Budget (Peter lead, with Erin, and then FiCom. (and idea of Gift funding))
- NASA ESIP Proposal renewal (Erin will lead)
- Earth System Science Decadal Survey Does ESIP want to recommend reps? (ExCom)
- Summer 2015 ESIP Meeting (Excom, Visioneers)
- Partnership outreach following C&B update (Tyler/Erin)
- Partnerships, GEO, CENDI, Council for Data Facilities, etc.
- Process for handling endorsements (Coalition for Data Publication/...) - Excom
- WDS Membership - Associate to Network
- Coalition on publishing data in the ESS
- Ideas from ExCom?
Future Agenda Topics
- Commons Governance
- Summer 2015 Planning
Minutes from recent telecons
Working Groups and Clusters
To view historic workgroups see: Inactive ExCom workgroups