Discovery Testbed Work Plan
Vision[edit | edit source]
The initial vision of the Discovery Testbed is to support the following items:
- Setup validation for registration of ESIP services
- Encourage the ESIP Community to register their services
- Provide some form of a service cast of registered services
- Chaining together of data and services - e.g., exploring data and services mapping, brokering∗
∗It is noted that the ability to chain services together may be a future work goal, and is not of immediate high priority to this first testbed work plan.
Assumptions[edit | edit source]
- Solution will be based on the Esri Geoportal Server software, an open source product managed by the Esri SDI Solutions team.
- Development work will be done by the Esri SDI Solutions team as part of the development to the Esri Geoportal Server product. All development work that results from this project can be included in subsequent releases of the Esri Geoportal Server.
- Compliance should be done for services. Clients will validate their own compliance.
- on registration, checks for compliance. if yes, then gets registered.
- To improve impact to Cluster, want others (other than Esri) in Clusters to contribute to testbed.
Hosting environment[edit | edit source]
- The hosting environment for the solution will be identified by the ESIP Discovery Cluster Testbed Configuration Board, and will meet the system requirements as defined by the Esri Geoportal Server Preinstallation documentation.
- The ESIP Products and Services Committee, ESIP Discovery Cluster, or an ESIP Discovery Cluster member organization will host the testbed instance.
Use Cases[edit | edit source]
Please feel free to contribute use cases, or add to the existing ones. See Use case template for the template.
- Leverage existing use-case implementations of clients using Discovery
- Use cases that apply, but are already implemented with out-of-the-box Esri Geoportal Server (i.e., minimal development necessary)
- Publish records for data and services
- Manage published data and services records
- Search published data and services records
- Browse published data and services records
- Access search results through JSON
- Access search results through ATOM
- Subscribe to Geoportal Cast
- Search Geoportal OpenSearch endpoint
- Search Geoportal CSW endpoint
- Customize search criteria
- Manage Geoportal users
- Some more use cases, sorry I haven't done the whole Use case template thing; will have to fill in if we want to pursue these. --steve.richard 2011-01-30
- Enable configuration for ATOM response encoding
- Enable configuration for csw:record encoding
- Enable capability to respond in other XML schema besides that in which the record was imported. Option 1-- add capability to pass response xml through xslt in output pipe line. Alternatively extend the machinery that does the ATOM and csw:record encoding configuration to allow configuring other output formats using the mapping between meanings and x-paths in various input formats
Requirements[edit | edit source]
- Requirements for customizations to the Esri Geoportal Server will be identified by the ESIP Discovery Cluster and reviewed with the Esri SDI Solutions team.
- Requirements will be based upon the description of the work as described in Task 2 of the Testbed RFP.
- Requirements that are identified as out-of-scope for this project can be addressed in future work by Esri and /or the ESIP Discovery Cluster.
- Should focus on server-compliance first.
- See complete set of Discovery Testbed Requirements
Schedule and Milestones[edit | edit source]
- Definition of use cases and requirements for customized geoportal.
- Presentation of prototype based on requirements, by Esri to ESIP Discovery Cluster.
- Feedback of prototype and iterative updates to geoportal testbed instance.
- Delivery of customized geoportal distribution to ESIP Discovery Cluster.
- Participation of Esri and ESIP staff in deployment activities for geoportal on ESIP system.
- Tech Transfer presentation to ESIP Discovery Cluster on how to use customized geoportal.
- Testing of deployment by ESIP Discovery Cluster.
Workforce[edit | edit source]
- The ESIP Discovery Cluster will identify suitable technical staff to assist Esri staff with the deployment of the Geoportal Server software.
- The ESIP Discovery Cluster will identify suitable staff to administer the implemented geoportal instance.
- The ESIP Discovery Cluster will participate in testing the implemented geoportal and providing feedback.
- Discovery Cluster Technical Staff: the technical person who will help with the deployment of the Geoportal Server on the ESIP system.
- Discovery Cluster Geoportal Administrator(s): staff that will approve published resources on the Geoportal and make decisions if content is appropriate.
- The ESIP Discovery Cluster Project Team – define requirements, provide input on prototype, help with testing deployed solution