2010-03-19: Demystifying the GEOSS Infrastructure - Virtual Workshop 2
GEOSS can be thought of like a pool where resources can be shared. The resources are provided using standards. By sharing the resources using standard methods to the pool, multiple applications can be built on top of the pool that access a variety of data.
Data/Metadata Provider perspective on MfD: MfD intro
- MfD purpose, function in GEOSS
- MfD structure and content
- MfD content
- procedures, tools and methods for preparing the MfD
Provider perspective on MfD:
- uFind what it is
- uFind hou to use it
What is the Pool?
- Components - Community Catalog, GEOSS Service and Component Registry, GEOSS Clearinghouse
- Community Catalog is a Web Accessible Folder: http://capita.wustl.edu/dataSpaceMetadata_ISO/
- Community Catalog is registered in the GEOSS Component and Service Registry:
- GEOSS Clearinghouse searches for Catalog services in the GEOSS Registry
- GEOSS Clearinghouse provides search across all component and service descriptions that are in the Component and Service Registry.
- For the WAF, GEOSS Clearinghouse harvests the metadata records from the Community Catalog once a day
Everything that is registered in the GEOSS Registry or in a community catalog can be found in the clearinghouse.
Getting into the Pool
To get into the pool
- Creating Data Access Services
- Creating metadata that allows data to be found and accessed
- Add metadata to Community Catalog
Getting out of the Pool?
- Clearinghouse has an API
- GEO Portals and Community portals query the clearinghouse