AQ Community Metadata Discussion
From Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP)
< Back to | Workshops | Air Quality Data Network
- Sample ISO Metadata Records
- AQ Community Fields
- Airbase v5 Metadata descriptions Media:Airbase_Metadata_Example.xls and Media:AirBase_IT_v5_xmldata.zip
Remember: the following are facets for finding data!
Dataset[edit | edit source]
- generally: data from one provider, one (satellite) instrument or one model.
- Need to further clarify granularity for model data. For example: "MACC" or "MACC forecast" and "MACC reanalysis"
Parameter[edit | edit source]
- relatively clear (= "variable name", "field name" or "layer name")
- issue: same parameter can come in different units (e.g. surface ozone in ug/m3 or ppb) - "units" is a separate facet, so it is possible to make selection if two variants of the same data are on offer
- rerlation to CF standard_name: parameter name should be extract from standard_name describing the physical quantitiy without its representation
Units[edit | edit source]
Platform[edit | edit source]
- predefined values: satellite, surface station, sonde, aircraft, model, emission (/!\ CHANGED) -- check common data model; climate community
- Lorenzo: look at evolution of standard where these problems are dealt with (platform and geometry); can we adopt their language
new facet: Geometry or FeatureType[edit | edit source]
- see also CF featureType; climate science markup language (CSML 3 writeup)
- time series (=point), vertical profile, layer, column, multi-dimensional (=gridded), trajectory
DataType[edit | edit source]
Instrument[edit | edit source]
- new tag for method should be added
- instrument tag may not be available in some services and will get lost in aggregation
- present agreement on "coarse resolution catalogue" would not allow mapping of intrument and method as it will not go down to the level of individual stations
- use "instrument" also for "modelname" (rename facet to "instrument_modelname"?)
Domain[edit | edit source]
- remove this facet
Topic Category[edit | edit source]
- comes from ISO
Time Resolution[edit | edit source]
- rename to "Sample_Length"
- Tim Dye to sort this out...
new facet: Periodicity[edit | edit source]
- add "irregular" as value
new facet: Time zone[edit | edit source]
new facet: Time definition[edit | edit source]
new facet: cell_methods[edit | edit source]
new facet: revision_status[edit | edit source]
- trace dataset version: version number? Code "preliminary" and "final"? ...
- describes processing of data along any dimension. See cell_methods attributes in CF convention and follow same syntax. See 
Originator[edit | edit source]
- only lists originator short name
Data Distributor[edit | edit source]
- only lists distributor short name
Space[edit | edit source]
- bounding box
resurrect facet: vertical (rename to "vertical_extent"?)[edit | edit source]
- range with fixed keywords: surface, troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, whole atmosphere
Time[edit | edit source]
- min-max; allows for "now"