AQCluster Telecons 25Apr08
Topics: (agenda open to community interests - please list topics below)
- 1 Current Cluster Activities
- 2 Other Activities
- 3 GEOSS News, Resources, Activities
- 4 Previous ESIP AQ cluster calls
Current Cluster Activities
McCabe: Background on GEO UIC-ADC "May 5, 2008 Toronto Workshop on User Validation of GEOSS Architecture using the Air Quality Scenario"
- GEOSS is focused on architecture (registering services and data); no equivalent approach for the people connectivity(humanware, community of practice?)
- GEOSS is composed of autonomous activities. The isolation of these activities and the lack of transparency/visibility makes it difficult to create sharing, reuse, collaboration...
- Question to the ESIP AQ: How can we promote the mutual support of various voluntary GEOSS activities?...Possible steps:
- Start with mutual awareness of existence, activities....a role for the AQ Cluster? (e.g. Arctur connecting to the Cluster)
- Begin collaboration by openness, sharing of respective resources... the Cluster as a role model? Initially, benefit is by giving to GEOSS something you were already doing in open space. Consequently reap benefits shared content as well, so that you can build on and with others' work.
- Pursue common goals through coordinated activities ... e.g. AIP Scenario development including ESIP-AQ; EPA/NASA; GEOSS ADC; UIC and other stakeholders
- Suggest broadening 'User' to include 'Stakeholders'. More elaboration follows..
Neil Frank, EPA: Exceptional Event - Operational AQ Scenario candidate
Event Analysis - Evidence gathering, integration - Operational.
D. Arctur: GEOSS Workshop on Air Quality and Coastal Ecosystems, IGARSS 08, see also Discussion
RHusar Comment: "David, It is delightful to see you taking the initiative with the GEOSS Education/Outreach workshop at IGARSS Boston. Your activity will certainly contribute towards increasing the surface area of exposure and spreading the GEOSS meme".
Question to the ESIP AQ Group: How can we promote the mutual support of various voluntary GEOSS activities?...A: start with making the aware of each other..a task for the ESIP AQ group?
Brian Wilson, JPL: Collaboration of Web Services & AQ Clusters
Stresses opportunities for linking the WS tech group of ESIP with AQ WS tech activities. Wilson is personally interested in contribution to the AIP Pilot.
Ben Domenico/S. Nativi: GALEON and AGU/EGU Informatics Divisions
Ben (activ in
GEOSS News, Resources, Activities
Goal of it all: Coordination of a Global Observing SoS public infrastructure ...by 1015.
GEO: Home | About | Chairs Letter | Meetings | Brochure | Documents GEOSS: Architecture and Data | Science and Technology | User Interface | Capacity Building | GEOSS AIP AQ Scenario | Core AI Report | Other Resources
Architecture Data C: Supports GEO in all architecture and data management aspects of the design, coordination, and implementation of GEOSS for comprehensive, coordinated, and sustained Earth observations
User Interface C: Engages users in the nine SBAs in the development, implementation, and use of a sustained GEOSS that provides the data and information required by user groups on national, regional and global scales. Has a specific goal to address cross-cutting issues by coordinating user communities of practice, ensuring continuity and avoiding duplication.
Science and Technology C: Engages the scientific and technological communities in the development, implementation and use of a sustained GEOSS in order to ensure that GEO has access to sound scientific and technological advice.
Capacity Building C: Supports GEO in strengthening the capability of all countries, in particular developing countries, to use Earth observation data and products in a sustainable manner and to contribute observations and systems to GEOSS.