2008-07-02: Subcommittee on Interoperability Telecon Minutes
Back to < Subcommittee on Interoperability
Subcommittee on Interoperability -- Air Quality Data Summit
July 2, 2008, 2:00 – 3:00pm EDT
Conference Room C351K
Conference Call Meeting Notes
COMMITTEE MEMBERS, Attendees who announced themselves:
NEXT CONFERENCE CALL:
No specific date. Topics for the next meeting may be submitted to Joe Tikvart ([email protected]) or identified in a new area on the wiki, along with relevant documents, at http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Community_Air_Quality_Data_System_Workspace .
See the file (http://capita.wustl.edu/capita/capitareports/080701_EPA_Interop/080702_DataSummitDS.ppt ) concerning “data use through federation”. This concept was discussed extensively by Rudy Husar. Other subjects discussed include:
- Inclusion of ozone and precusors in VIEWS as a demonstration of interoperability; it would be good to place data in VIEWS that can take advantage of visualization tools and distributed access.
- “It is best to do things where it is best to do them.”
- The need for a framework for negotiation between computers; it might be best for users if they could get aggregated data that has been “EPA sanctioned”.
- Use of “browse images/data” that provide a “light-weight” approach to exploring at a high level, e.g., GoogleEarth.
- Where to store versus where to process data; generally it is better to store raw data locally in order to facilitate processing; interoperability options should be explored and decisions made early.
- The concept of a “wrapper” is important.
- Development of the data exchange standard by Domenico.
- The need for an ad hoc group concerned with earth science to address data standards, e.g. satellite data, and access to raw data through a federated system.
Future questions should be posted on the Subcommittee Discussion Page (attached to main subcommittee page) for information. Sub-pages should be avoided. Click Watch tab for e-mail notification when the page changes.