ESIP Community Ontology Repository (COR)
Github Collaboration Area
Summer 2016 Semantic Web For Non-Expert Presentations
Vision of the Semantic Technologies Committee
- Promote research and development of semantic technologies in support of Earth science data discovery, dissemination, and analysis
- Collaborate with ESIP members, working groups, clusters, and standing committees on semantic related topics
- Foster sharing and reuse of ontologies and controlled vocabularies
- To provide a collaborative environment for the development of ontologies and ontology-based standards
- To maintain a long-term agenda and roadmap for evaluation of semantic technologies within ESIP
- To collaborate with external agencies, on behalf of ESIP, in regards to semantic technologies
2015-2020 Strategic Plan Goals
- The Semantic Technology strategic vision can be found here: Semantic Technologies Strategic Vision
- The committee's 2017 strategic plan is available here: 
Resources for ESIP's overall Strategic Plan:
Collaboration Area Plan
Liaisons to external groups
- Ruth Duerr - EarthCube Semantics Working Group
- Soren Scott - RDA Provenance Working Group
- Stephen Richard - RDA Vocab Services, Terminology IG, and DataType Registry Working Groups
- Stace Beaulieu - USGS CDI Semantic Web Working Group
- Adam Shepherd - The Ontolog Community
- Lewis McGibbney - Spatial Data on the Web (SDW)
- Bhaskar Ramachandran - The International Association for Ontology and its Applications (IAOA), http://www.iaoa.org/
- Pascal Hitzler - Ontology Design & Patterns Association
- John Graybeal - Lead of MMI ORR, BioPortal projects
The GeoSemantics Symposium is held annually and co-located with the ESIP Winter Meeting.
Co-located with ESIP Winter 2018 on Tuesday January 8th, 2017 from 9AM-5PM (the day before the start of the ESIP Winter Meeting 2018) at Bethesda North Marriott, Bethesda, MD. The theme is Applications of Semantics and Ontologies in Earth Science
- Event Details
- Program Schedule
- Attendee List 2018 - A list of projected/anticipated attendees. Please add yourself. If you do not have access permissions please email one of the Chairs above requesting to be added.
Held on Tuesday January 10th, 2017 from 9AM-5PM (the day before the start of the ESIP Winter Meeting 2017) in the Middlebrook Room at Bethesda North Marriott, Bethesda, MD.
- Event Details
- Program Schedule
- Attendee List - A list of projected/anticipated attendees. Please add yourself. If you do not have access permissions please email one of the Chairs above requesting to be added.
Current Projects and Collaborations
Semantic Projects in which Committee members are involved in can be found in this section of the Strategic Vision document.
Current Collaboration Areas
- We are evaluating which ontology portal features (mappings, alignment, visualization, registering, etc.) are of need to the broad Earth science community. As of the ESIP Summer Meeting 2017, a comprehensive Ontology Portal Evaluation has been undertaken to understand what the community needs and what resources are necessary to support those needs.
- We are considering how to establish an Ontology Repository Evaluation Roadmap.
- We are evaluating what it means to be a "good" ontology and what governance looks like for community developed and maintained semantic resources (ontologies and taxonomies)
- In conjunction with ESIP's Products and Services we are helping to evaluate software readiness levels and software reuse.
- We are working with ESIP's Cloud Computing Cluster to explore efficient and extensible means of hosting ESIP-wide semantic resources