2017 Semantic Technologies Strategic Plan
ESIP Semantic Technology Committee Strategic Plan 2017
- Chair : Beth Huffer
- Co-Chair (s): Lewis McGibbney
- Website (wiki): http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Semantic_Technologies
- Git hub :
- Monthly Meeting Day/Time: 4th Tuesday 4:00pm EST
To be a leader in promoting the collection, stewardship and use of Earth science data, information and knowledge that are responsive to societal needs.
2015-2020 Strategic Plan Goals
- Increase the use and value of Earth science data and information.
- Strengthen the ties between observations and user communities (e.g. technologies, research, education and applications).
- Promote techniques to articulate and measure the socioeconomic value and benefit of Earth science data, information, and applications.
- Position ESIP to play a major role in Earth science issues (e.g. addressing effects of climate change mitigation, adaptation and supporting sustainable science data infrastructure).
Collaboration Area Plan
Collaboration Area Objective:
To evangelize the use of semantic technologies in making Earth science data more easily discoverable, accessible, and usable. To foster collaborations between prospective semantic technology consumers and semantic technology providers in the interest of increasing adoption of semantics and semantic technologies by the Earth science community.
Things we may do to fulfill our objectives:
- Collaborate with clusters who have an interest in leveraging semantics to achieve data interoperability objectives (in particular Drones and ESDA); the Semantic Technology Committee will collaborate with the Earth Science Data Analytics Cluster over the next year. The ESDA Cluster has documented use cases and requirements for conducting effective analyses of Earth science data. Many of the tasks identified by the ESDA are tasks that could be made more efficient and/or effective through the use of semantic technologies. We will work with the ESDA cluster to match use cases to semantic technology solutions that are either available or being investigated.
- Familiarize ESIP members with open source semantic applications
- Collaborate with external groups such as Earth Cube and RDA to ensure we are taking advantage of progress made by others, sharing and adopting best practices
- Write and publish a Semantic Technology Roadmap for Earth Science
Things our collaboration area needs to deliver our objectives?
- Support for our annual geosemantics symposium
- Travel funding for keynote speakers
(e.g. Partnerships, in-kind support, staff support)
How will we know we are on the right track?
- Seeing increased adoption of semantic applications
- Increasing participation at monthly meetings
- Supporting community members in undertaking testbed projects
How will others know what we are doing in & out of ESIP?
- Maintain regular contact with external organizations such as EarthCube and RDA
- Host sessions at meetings to help community members work with semantic technologies to achieve their objectives
- Host an annual geosemantics symposium
- Publish and market a Semantic Technology Roadmap for Earth Science
Cross-collaboration area connections
(Identify other areas that you consider cross collaboration. Are there things that you need us to provide in support the cross collaboration?)