Winter 2016 Meeting
January 6-8, 2016
The 2016 Winter ESIP Federation Meeting will be held at the Wardman Park Marriott
Meeting Enhancement Issues and Thoughts
- Big Data, Climate Models, and Resilience: Data Science for Transdisciplinary Outcomes
- focus on big data
- focus on open science
- focus on implementing new climate change data sources and tools
- focus on delivering data applications to resource managers
- Past ESIP Meeting Themes
- Suggested Themes
Types of breakouts
- Talk (e.g., Powerpoint)
- Demonstration (online software or web-site walk-through
- Problem-solving session (facilitated discussion among participants to address a specific problem)
- Tutorial/Training (instructor-led classroom-style session to teach attendees)/lab
- Panel Session
- Writing Session
- Hack Sprint (mini Hackathon)
- Planning Session
May also think about breaking breakouts into shorter/longer chunks
Plenary Talk Ideas
- Gavin Schmidt TED Talk
Discussion and notes
Visioneers Meeting 8/31/15
Participants: Erin R., Annie B., Dan K., Rebecca F., Denise H., Bruce C., Ken K. and Jamie R.
- Denise H. suggested Lavalier microphones and an ipad or dedicated laptop to improve remote participation.
- The DC area for summer meetings has issues (cost, hotel coverage). Asheville's new collaborative workspace and NOAA connections are positives.
- Highlight the success story of the Drone Cluster as something that ESIP can facilitate.
- Visioneers could come up with a new name that combines BOF and Hackerspace, i.e. a place to connect that can also be action-oriented.
- Winter Meeting Theme could align with common-theme suggestions from ESIP meeting (Denise H. to share G-doc) surveys AND the needs of NOAA and NASA.
- Ask our NOAA and NASA connections about theme ideas .
- Next Visioneers Meeting in 2-3 weeks (Erin R. or AB to suggest meeting time)