Sustainable Data Management/20160916 telcon notes
From Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP)
< Sustainable Data Management
For recorded session, see: https://esip.sharefile.com/fo871c56-e32f-42e4-a08b-5d8988e0f041
Log in as a guest; search for sessions beginning with the string "SustDM"
Contact ESIP staff or committee chair for help.
Present: Corinna Gries, Steven Earl, Bob Downs, Ruth Duerr, Philip Tarrant, Cyndy Parr, John Porter, Nancy Hoebelheinrich (note-taker, did I miss anyone?)
Regrets: Margaret O’Brien, Anne Wilson
- Report on meetings at ESIP Summer
- Possibilities for study of data repos using some approaches from Beagrie’s JISC report
- Face to face workshop
- Good attendance at the ROI meeting with presentations essentially recapping reports & discussions from calls during last few months by Anne Wilson, Bob Downs and Ruth Duerr
- Session 1: A Framework to Evaluate the Return on Investment (ROI) of a Data Repository; session description at: http://sched.co/6uH4
- Session 2: Sustainable Data Management for Environmental Science Repositories – Summary Session: http://sched.co/6uGs
- Recordings of sessions not yet available (to our knowledge)
- One outcome of the meeting – Funding Friday request by Ruth Duerr & Bob Downs to use one or more approaches from the Beagrie JISC report to study the CIESIN data repository
- Report at: http://repository.jisc.ac.uk/5568/1/iDF308_-_Digital_Infrastructure_Directions_Report,_Jan14_v1-04.pdf
- Anne Wilson summary of this report (presentation slides): http://wiki.esipfed.org/images/5/5f/JISC_report_out.04.21.16.pdf
- Funding Friday proposal not chosen to fund
- Encouragement given to submit the proposal as a Special Project to the ESIP Finance Committee by Erin Robinson
- If the Beagrie approaches are used to study one repository; should there be others?
- Other data repos that might be worth studying:
- North Temperate Lakes LTER at Madison, WI (Corinna’s data repo)
- Might also be useful to review the categories for the metrics from the annual Consumer Satisfaction Survey that are submitted by the NASA DAACs every year
- We’ll hold off on having a face to face workshop until we see a clear accomplishment that we could gain from another face to face meeting.
- Ruth and Bob Downs to pursue a request for funding the study of CIESIN from ESIP’s Special Project funds
- Corinna, Nancy, Philip, Margaret to get together to discuss the feasibility of studying the North Temperate Lakes LTER data repository (Nancy to set up doodle poll)
- Bob Downs to submit example or template or categories included in NASA’s Consumer Satisfaction Survey