Sensor Data Acquisition
From Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP)
Here, we list several considerations for data acquisition and transmission.
- Acquisition Methods
- bandwidth requirements (e.g., is 10Hz data needed?)
- where to get broadband POP?
- ability of equipment to work with required bandwidth
- Line of sight (LOS)
- environment, topography, and vegetation
- LOS calculators
- are repeaters required?
- See Sensor Site and Platform Selection considerations</a>
- distance to repeater
- how important is real-time accessibility? (e.g., what is desired collection frequency?)
- power requirements
- on-site buffer size?
- Other considerations
- reliability of transmission mode
- reliability and robustness of equipment
- configuration and software (e.g., what level of expertise is needed?, computer requirements)
- serial-to-ethernet devices