SW Cluster Meeting Notes
Semantic Web Cluster
ESIP Federation Meeting of Semantic Web cluster for Winter 2007 in Portland
- 8am Thursday, Jan 4th 2007
Peter Fox, Howard Burrows, Karen Moe, Danny Hardin, Rob Raskin Melanie Meaux, Steve Young, Helen Conover, Liping Di, Meixia Deng (?)
- GeoBRAIN (GMU BPEL service discovery)
- Semantic Web company (from Portland) - details coming
Ideas for SW cluster activity tasks within Federation
- Federation service ontology (service type)
- Datatype ontology
- Community dialog and federation agreements on ontologies
- Community ontology development
- Support for ESIP/EIE
- Development of demonstration projects
Other ideas for cluster activity
- Verifiable information quality and semantically-enabling web services are two
initial technical applications. For workflow composition - solicit use case from Stefan Falke.
- GEO(SS) has needs for interdisciplinary data discovery. Their plan for data is to
adopt SOA. Many of their suggested scenarios require entry in any part of the "system of systems" and navigate within it using common standards - Kathy Fontaine will be the point of contact for this liason.
- EPA - and European colleagues (their EPA) has a big FP7 project planned in ecoinformatics,
contact is Bill Sontag.
- Demo for July 2007 ESIP meeting - application of semantics to ESIP user community
characterization and areas-of-interest (also a topic of interest to Andy Schain). Several starting points exist (ontologies) including vocabularies like AGU index terms, etc. Rob Raskin to lead this activity.
- Participation in AGU/EGU and related conferences to provide demonstrations
of semantic web.
- Provision of how-to and synthesize best practices documents and identification of roles
and expertise, e.g. a knowledge engineer and a SW facilitator to be posted on ESIP wiki.
- Decision tree for when (and how) to use semantic web, develop schema, vocabulary,
- Close synergy between NASA/DSWG/TIWG semantic web sub-group and ESIP SW cluster).
Activities for telecons
- Ontology discussions; services, SWEET, etc.
- Solicit application areas via telecons - both by participating in application cluster
telecons and invited those interested in semantic web to our telecon
- Participate in application cluster telecons to obtain use cases
Activities for summer meeting
- Plenary demonstrations including background material (abbreviated tutorial)