From Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP)
Executive Committee of the ESIP Federation[edit | edit source]
Members[edit | edit source]
- Emily Law, President
- Christine White, Vice President
- Bill Teng, Chair, Finance
- Danie Kinkade, Chair, Partnership
- Ken Keiser, Chair, C&B
- Bob Arko, Type I Rep
- Sky Bristol, Type II Rep
- Ted Habermann, Type III Rep
- Justin Goldstein, Chair, Data Stewardship
- LuAnn Dahlman, Chair, Education
- Ethan Davis, Chair, IT & I
- Denise Hills, Chair, Nominations
- Soren Scott, Chair, Products and Services
- Tom Narock, Chair, Semantic Technologies
Activities[edit | edit source]
Telecons[edit | edit source]
2nd Tuesday of the month at 3 pm Eastern
- Next Telecon, August 9, 3 pm EDT
Webinar Information[edit | edit source]
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone. https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/411606165
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (312) 757-3121
Access Code: 411-606-165
Agenda[edit | edit source]
- Approval of August Minutes
- President's Report
- USGCRP: Thanks to Justin’s, we (Erin, Justin, Richard Eckman and I) met with USGCRP leadership team to discuss area of mutual interests and collaboration opportunities on August 24. Agenda and participations are posted here. The meeting was informative and productive. Several approaches were identified for the two organizations to move forward in common efforts that are mutually beneficial. Next steps in the near term include planning of the next meeting at AGU, a webinar to introduce ESIP to broader USGCRP groups. Summary of the telecom can be found here.
- Staff Report
- Annie: Sent out an initial email to potential ESIP stories working group. Continuing AIST evaluation process.
- Preparing for IDW next week; Hired Bruce Caron as Community Architect; FY17 Budget in progress.
- Working on commitment for Partnership on Resilience Preparedness:
- The Federation of Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP) is an open, networked community that brings together science, data and information technology practitioners. ESIP commits to lead the PREP Data Accessibility Work Group, which will include:(1) Hosting a series of workshops, at least two in the first year, to provide a forum for exploring on the challenges and opportunities users face using climate-relevant data especially Earth observations; (2) Facilitating a process for documenting lessons learned and best practices on how to make climate-relevant data more interoperable and useful; and (3) Utilizing ESIP infrastructure to incubate proof of concept solutions for improving access and evaluate multiple options. By the end of 2017, ESIP will have utilized the testbed for at least one round of prototype solutions and begun outreach.
- Committee Reports
- Discussion and interactions with Erin and Bruce on upcoming C&B efforts pertaining to ESIP organizational changes. No current actions.
- Budgets received from 3 groups; 1 other query likely to become a special project request later. Templates and schedule
- Ficom Chair and Board Treasurer
- Data Stewardship
- A few committee members are completing our writing of an article about identifier use for the special edition of Data Science Journal dedicated to persistent #** identifiers. We expect to submit this month. We canceled our August meeting due to the month, and will devote most of our September meeting to report outs from International Data Week from the ESIP-wide community.
- We will be sharing our draft STEM activities for drones at National Science Teacher Association conferences this fall.
- We've had a couple good activities contributed for our ebook.
- Starting at the winter meeting, we intend to launch a series of 10-minute tool demonstrations (webinars that folks can attend live or watch later)
- Tech Dive Webinar Series
- 8 September 2016: "Apache Open Climate Workbench": Lewis McGibbney, apache.org
- Tech Dive Webinar Series
- Nominations - Job Description Doc
- We've received some suggestions; we will meet as a committee in the next few weeks to start finalizing nominations. We're working with the governance team to determine what will be needed, nomination/election-wise, for board.
- Products & Services
- Preparation for the next RFP, including more targetted advertising through the Types
- Semantic Technology
- Independent ontology portal evaluation using ESIP evaluation framework
- Type Rep Reports
- Type I
- Type II
- Type III
- We are pulling together an HDF Town Hall at AGU and are looking for ESIP members that might like to contribute.
- Other Business
- ESIP at International Data Week - Please add your ideas, events, sessions etc to this google doc
- 2017 Theme proposed - Strengthen the ties between observations and user communities (e.g. technologies, research, education and applications).
- Committee purpose discussion
- Any other business?
Tabled[edit | edit source]
- “How to talk about ESIP” ideas and how to grow ESIP ambassadors
- How to document ESIP success stories - there is a technical and programmatic effort. As easy as tagging posts with #esipfed or some other hashtag, but then what do we do all the tagged content, where do we consolidate that, is that how we want to proceed with capturing success stories - let's think about this
- NOAA has some existing framework resources on this, EarthCube is also using NOAA's work on this.
Telecon Minutes[edit | edit source]
Draft Excom Minutes
Approved Excom Minutes
2016 Work Plan[edit | edit source]
Past ExCom Workspaces[edit | edit source]
To see prior year work plans and links