Executive Committee of the ESIP Federation
- Emily Law, President
- Christine White, Vice President
- Bill Teng, Chair, Finance
- Danie Kinkade, Chair, Partnership
- Ken Keiser, Chair, C&B
- Bob Arko, Type I Rep
- Sky Bristol, Type II Rep
- Ted Habermann, Type III Rep
- Justin Goldstein, Chair, Data Stewardship
- LuAnn Dahlman, Chair, Education
- Ethan Davis, Chair, IT & I
- Denise Hills, Chair, Nominations
- Soren Scott, Chair, Products and Services
- Tom Narock, Chair, Semantic Technologies
2nd Tuesday of the month at 3 pm Eastern
- Next Telecon, February 9, 3 pm EDT
To join the Excom meeting via Webex:
- Go to http://esipfed.webex.com
- Click on the Meeting Center Tab
- Find the Executive Committee meeting and Click Join
- Enter your name, email and meeting code (23138379)
You will be prompted for audio either through your computer (follow prompts on screen) or by call in by phone (instructions below).
- Dial: 877-668-4493
- Meeting Code: 23138379#
- Reminder that Dec Minutes were approved
- President's Report
- Funding opportunity: USGS is interested in standing up a couple of prototypes to demonstrate a PROV registry and an Annotation catalog. The products of these prototypes could potentially become community resources for ESIP. Sky Bristol, Steve Aulenbach, Erin, Annie, Christine and Emily held an initial telecom to discuss how ESIP can facilitate and support this effort. The conversation included how testbed framework can facilitate the prototypes, evaluation of the deliverables, and communication of such distributed architecture and products. USGS is currently crafting a project outline that will allow us to formulate a detailed plan to support their needs. Products and services committee will be involved. No action for ESIP at this time.
- Committee chairs, working group and cluster chairs/co-chairs (may be Type reps as well?) to update work plan to align with ESIP direction in order to achieve ESIP goals laid out in the strategic plan approved by the assembly during 2016 winter meeting.
- Excom to submit written report to ExCom wiki shortly after receiving monthly call notification, and read the reports prior to the call in an effort to allow more time for discussion.
- ExCom to review and add ideas to 2016 work list on the ExCom wiki. We’d like your inputs/feedback as well as help to prioritize this year’s work. This will also assist in identifying opportunities to get involved.
- Staff Report
- NOAA Proposal draft will be shared early next week.
- Legal update - The conflict of interest law has been changed as of 2013. Federal employees can serve on boards. Waiting for explicit confirmation from NASA and NOAA.
- Rebecca Fowler is leading a refresh of esipfed.org, adding meetings.esipfed.org and will be working to organize content
- New staff email - email@example.com
- Website refresh - If you are interested in providing feedback, let Rebecca know.
- Looking for member highlights and AGU data blog contributors
- Committee Reports
- C&B -
- No activities since winter meeting
- Will be holding telecon with new C&B members (soon) to discuss (1) updating bylaws with approved changes, (2) draft of a "Standing Rules" document to address ESIP best practices and procedures that are not appropriate for bylaws (will discuss with FICom as noted below), (3) prepare for discussion on changes to federation-foundation relationship as necessary
- Status of FY16 proposed budgets: (1) 3 approved (Drupal WG, Data Stewardship Comm, Education Comm); (2) 1 to be submitted (Semantic Technologies Comm); and (3) supplemental travel budget from DS Comm (being reviewed).
- Request to be sent to those groups who received funding for FY15 for reports on results. This item is on Ficom's list of processes to be (a bit) more formalized.
- Ficom to follow up with Ken K. re: C&B initiative on compiling ~best practices (or SOPs) for all committees (+other groups?) in some esip wiki space. Aligns very nicely with Ficom's formalization efforts.
- Data Stewardship
- This brief slide deck outlines the committee's plans to encourage the use of recreational drones for STEM. Planning is underway for two Webinars and a summer workshop for educators.
- Products & Services
- Discussing ESIP's potential participation in OGC Testbed 12 and 13.
- Continuing efforts to expand the tech evaluation process through the P&S testbed with support from interested ESIP members across clusters/committees.
- Two governance questions to raise: a) (related to Semantic Tech committee discussions) Is there a need or desire to define the RFP and review board processes for all committees, through an ESIP-wide standing rules document? and b) regardless of decision regarding A, can we resolve the outstanding issues around privacy items such as the submitted proposals?
- Semantic Technology
- Used discussions in January to think about the structure of the committee. Several liaisons to internal and external groups were identified. Had initial discussions with Testbed and Products and Services to leverage expertise. Budget was drafted and sent to Ficom. Identified a few high priority topics to pursue in coming months. Deploying a core set of ESIP Semantic Technologies such as Ontology Repository and Linked Data efforts. One key topic that has emerged is how to govern ESIP semantic resources. Will be discussed at February telecon. Continue discussions with EarthCube Semantics Working group and beginning connections with RDA and OGC.
- C&B -
- Type Rep Reports
- Type I
- Type II
- Type III
- Other Business
- Summer Meeting Updates - Visioneers met last week. Call for sessions will open on Feb.16.
2016 Work Plan
Minutes from recent telecons
Past ExCom Workspaces
To see prior year work plans and links
- ExCom Home 2015
- [2014 ExCom Home 2014]
- [2013 ExCom Home 2013]