P&S Monthly Telecon - June 11, 2012
Back to: Products and Services
Info and Notes for: ESIP Products & Services Telecon - Monday, June 11 @ 1pm CT / 2pm ET
- Attendee Access code: 23140358#
WebEx online access: https://esipfed.webex.com/mw0306ld/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=esipfed
Note: the access code above (with no spaces or dashes) is the password for the online access
- Ideas and discussion for ESIP summer meeting session (see thoughts below on the summer session)
- ESIP state-of-art document for all Testbed tasks - Jerry, Nancy, Phil - Christine has blazed the trail on this one and example is posted on the wiki (link?) **http://wiki.esipfed.org/images/f/fc/StateOfTheArt_ESIP_Discovery_Testbed-20120307rev1.pdf
- Testbed Presentation Series: Chen Xu and Phil Yang present the Testbed Portal implemenation
Participants: Rezgui, Carol, Chen, Phil, Ken, Phil (and others from GMU)
Discussion on/suggestions for summer meeting session:
The suggestion was to focus more on the new technologies of the Testbed and less on the individual tasks/projects during the session.
Carol suggested that the Testbed projects plan to do demonstrations during the poster/demo session on Wednesday (July 18). This will provide more visibility for those projects while freeing up time during the session. We can announce these demos at the session which is earlier in the day.
Phil suggested having some emphasis on the new portal and use of cloud resources across the projects. These fit with the suggested agenda below.
Suggestion for summer meeting session agenda: Wed, July 18, 1:30-3:00pm ESIP Testbed: Encouraging Technology Innovation for Earth Science
- (10 min) Overview of Testbed and recent efforts
- (20 min) New Testbed Portal - a better environment for innovation and collaboration (Chen, Phil, Ken)
- (20 min) Using ESIP services (Christine, Erin?, Phil) - Cloud, Drupal, Web, Commons
- (10 min) Capturing the source code - using ESIP GitHub project (?)
- (30 min) New directions - open discussion on Testbed next steps
If anyone has comments and additional ideas for the agenda please respond with ideas.
Portal Development Presentation (Phil, Chen)
The portal project is nearing completion and the results were presented and demonstrated during the telecon. The portal is providing a place to create, document and track information about Testbed projects, while also allowing ESIP members to comment and generate issues about the projects. Members can subscribe to receive notification whenever information is updated on a project they are interested in following.
The portal supports different roles of users: Developer, ESIP member, Administrator and Public.
Developers can create new projects and update the project content. Members can review all the information, comment and generate issue actions. Administrators can do everything Public can only see the content that is configured to be open
The portal is available for everyone to begin testing - now. We really need everyone and especially the project development teams to begin testing and providing feedback to the portal team.
The main implementation to test is located at... http://swp.gmu.edu/esiptestbed/
To test, go to this site and request a new login. Choose your role to be developer or member and test with that role in mind. Create multiple user accounts to test the capabilities of the roles.
There are cloud-based implementations of the same functionality located at... http://188.8.131.52/esiptestbed/ http://ec2-50-19-7-217.compute-1.amazonaws.com/esiptestbed/ but these are more for demonstration purposes and not testing.
- need to utilize a shared user database with the ESIP Portal and Commons, but allow for different roles for the same user across the sites. Ajinkya (UAH) has been working with Erin on a likely solution, and this should be investigated for integration with the ESIP portal.
- Migration/integration with the ESIP portal will start after a round (or two) of testing - hopefully to be completed prior to the summer meeting
The goal should be to test for a couple weeks and then if issues have been addressed, move toward migrating the Testbed portal into the ESIP portal environment with the hope of being live by the summer meeting. Please help us test.
Next Telecon - July 9th @ 2pm CT / 3pm ET