Difference between revisions of "Help:Renaming/Moving Pages"
From Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP)
Latest revision as of 21:56, January 15, 2007
What links here: Renaming/Moving Pages
Existing pages can be renamed. The terms "rename" and "move" mean the same in this context.
- With the correct page displayed, click on the "Move" tab near the top of the page.
- Give a new title for the page, and say yes to the option to also move the page's talk (discussion) page.
- Click the "move page" button and the page will be renamed to the new title. The old title will become a redirect page, so any links to the old title will still go to the new page.
- On the next pop-up page click on the new page link.
- Go to the "What links here" in the toolbox to find which pages link to this page.
- Correct these old links by replacing the old page name with the new one.
- Once this is completed remove the redirect from the old page and this will remove the old page from the "What links here" for the new page.
These are short instructions. For a more detailed version see Meta.Wikimedia.
If this terse instruction set is unclear or inadequate, users are requested to fix it. Thanks.