Drones, Data, and the Great American Eclipse
- Working Agenda for the 2017 July 27 ESIP teacher track sessions --
- 8:30– Welcome, Introductions, ESIP Overview - Shelley Olds, ESIP Education Chair
- 9:00 – NOAA Data in the Classroom - June Teisan
- 10:00 - Using Mapping Tools to Work with Natural Hazards Data in the Classroom - Robert Downs
- 10:30 - break
- 11:00 – Getting the Most out of GOES-16 Data - Margaret Mooney
- 11:30 – The Great American Eclipse - Pat Reiff
- 12:00 - Eclipse Outdoor Activities
- 12:30 – LUNCH
- 1:30 – Distribute Drones, explore drone activities - Shelley Olds & LuAnn Dahlman
- 2:00 – Hands-on Drone Activities (in small groups)
- 3:30 – Break
- 4:00 – More hands-on!
- 4:45 – Summary discussions, Evaluation and wrap-up
- 5:30 - Adjourn
The ESIP summer meeting will take place in Bloomington, Indiana.
Conference information & registration is available at http://www.esipfed.org/meetings/upcoming-meetings/esip-summer-meeting-2017
Teacher registration is complimentary thanks to NOAA, but space is limited. Please identify yourself as a teacher when registering.
The first 15 registrants will receive a $200 travel stipend and a free recreational drone!
Resources for using drones in STEM
Drones in STEM Learning Materials: UAV learning activities developed by ESIP & UCAR
UAV Performance Test: Carry a Payload How high is my drone flying? A 3d View from a Drone: Make a 3d model from your photos UAVs in STEM Education - Using drones for science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) investigations resources shared in 2016 workshops
Making 3D imagery:
Recap360 - a free online application for creating 3-D visualizations from a set of photographs:  Trnio for Apple iOS:  Scann3d for Android:  Sketchfab to showcase your models:  DroneDeploy: Software mapping from drones 
Videos on learning to fly
About the UDI 818A HD and how to fly About the UDI 818A HD and some tips Flite Test How to Fly a Multirotor - shows the controls! And does a good job on basics & safety. Demonstrates Back and forth; Walk the dog; Circle around your tail in (you turn too) Quadcopter 101 flight lessons webpages