Difference between revisions of "Draft Excom Minutes"

From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Line 12: Line 12:
  
 
=== Executive Committee Business ===  
 
=== Executive Committee Business ===  
# Approval of February Minutes:
+
# Approval of [[Draft Excom Minutes|March Minutes]]
#: Amended Item #2 - Issue to be commented should be shared with specific collaboration area list-serves or send to ESIP-All depending on what is appropriate. - New ESIP page on ESIP endorsement (may move to the endorsement page.
+
#: Denise motioned to approve Minutes as amended and Emily seconded. The minutes were approved by acclamation.   
#: Justin motioned to approve Minutes as amended and Denise seconded. The minutes were approved by acclimation.   
+
# President's Report
# President’s Report:
+
#* The DC trip is rescheduled for the week of April 20. Erin & Peter will meet with current sponsors - NASA and NOAA as well as USGS, CEQ and USGCRP.  
#* March DC Trip cancelled due to weather. We are rescheduling DC trip for April. Action: Follow-up with Bill on USDA connection.  Any other ideas on DC contacts, let us know.  
+
#* Peter thanked Emily for her leadership of the ESIP Strategic Plan process
#* ESIP collaboration and endorsement. We have started a wiki page which will include Letter templates and guidelines
+
#* Peter reported on the two tasks he is leading (1) ESIP Budget & (2) ESIP/FES Fiscal Sponsor Agreement. In the next month, Peter & Erin will work with Bill Teng on the budget and hop to have more to report in May.  
#* Strategic Plan update - we are ready to move forward to next phase and we need some help to support the finalization of this step.
+
# Executive Director Report
#* NIH BD2K a workshop on community driven standards. Peter gave keynote on ESIP Federation. Interesting to give an outward looking view of ESIP and helped them think about what they could do. (Post SLIDES)
+
#* Erin reported that she had extended offers to two candidates - (1) Annie Burgess as the ESIP Community Director and (2) Rebecca Fowler as the Marketing and Outreach Director. Both will start by mid-May.  
# Executive Director’s Report  
+
#* Erin followed up on Peter's comments about the ESIP budget. The draft budget for ESIP looks very positive. In the next several weeks Erin will also be working on the NASA renewal proposal.  
#* Software and Data Citation workshop follow-up from last month. It was in DC at the end of January. A specific request was made for Software Citation.  
+
# Summer Meeting 2015
#* Staff update - we hired Dan/Annie as a team to share a single position. They are the in-person meeting infrastructure. In between meetings they are supporting the online infrastructure and documenting processes. Erin also gave an update on the Community Manager processes. Great pool of candidates. Speaks to ESIP’s reputation that we had such a great response.  
+
#* [http://commons.esipfed.org/2015SummerMeeting Call for Sessions & Details] - There was a great response to the call for sessions. Erin will be following up with travel details for ExCom.  
# 2015 Summer Meeting  
+
#* [[Summer_2015_Meeting|Wiki planning space]]
#* Visioneers suggested: Data-Driven Community Resilience
+
#* [[ESIP Code of Conduct]] - Erin reported that with Partnership she is working on a code of conduct for the meeting.  
#** The process for meeting themes is that Visioneers discusses and proposes a theme and ExCom approves and finalizes.  
+
#* Theme Finalized - Peter thanked the group for all of their input and suggested a final theme iteration: "The Federation of Earth Science Information Partners & Community Resilience: Coming Together". Denise motioned to approve the theme and Bill seconded the motion. The meeting theme was approved by acclamation. Action - List all themes;
#** The group discussed community resilience meanings. It was intentionally vague to mean both local community resilience as it relates to climate change and applicable to other types of community - like community around software. The group did not love the theme, but also didn’t hate the theme. It is a bit government oriented and is it a concern that we may orient to strongly around federal. We would like to get to a theme where it is more applicable to a larger portion of attendees. Resilience is vague and not well defined and intentionally broad. Worried that others will be confused and not understand.  
+
# Strategic Plan Update
#** Erin shared other theme options. We also tend to go back and forth between technical and applied themes.
+
#* [[2015-2020_Strategic_Plan_Workspace | Workspace & Roadmap]] - Emily echoed Peter's thanks for the rest of the groups that have supported the development of ESIP's strategic plan. With Chris Lenhardt and Denise Hills, & staff, the next steps will be to create a doc with all of the supporting material and an executive summary that will be used as the baseline to review accomplishments against.  
#*** Building communities around software is of interest.
 
#** Peter shared a few options
 
#*** Subtitle bullet points defining title from different perspectives (data manager, educator, ….)
 
#*** Another option could be to move : to between community : resilience
 
#*** Group discussed these options and was mixed about how to proceed.  
 
#**** suggested - Data-Driven Community: Versatility and Resilience
 
#***** Discussion: Data-Driven Community very applicable to all types of community. Some concern that this would be confusing.  Community or Communities?
 
#** Theme needs to be decided by end of April when we open registration.  
 
#** Q: How does theme relate to overall meeting? A: It drives decision on the plenary, but great to have ways to engage broader attendance.
 
#** The group decided to move this to email to continue the discussion and develop a bit more narrative around it.
 
#* Visioneers did a great job of considering space and thinking of creative ways to use it.  
 
 
# Committee Reports  
 
# Committee Reports  
#* Finance - No update. Pending budgets are still pending.
+
#* Data Stewardship - Justin repro
#* Partnership - No update.
+
# Type Rep Reports  
#* Constitution & Bylaws - Semantic Web is considering movement from Cluster to Committee. Discussion here: http://lists.deltaforce.net/pipermail/esip-semanticweb/2015/000486.html
+
# Other Business
#* Data Stewardship - GEO has approached the ESIP Data Stewardship cluster for support on the GEO Data Sharing principles.
+
#* Please add other business
#* Education - No update.
+
 
#* IT&I - Looking for Rants/Raves for next few months. Interested, email Ethan Davis (edavis@ucar.edu). The group will also look for other activities like hack-a-thons, workshops and connecting with P&S on testbed. Finally, the group is thinking about changing the name of the group. Is the IT still applicable? Interoperability is more cross-cutting.
 
#* Nominations - Denise reminded group to be forward thinking on nominations.
 
#* Products & Services - Group will release Testbed RFP May 15. The group is also planning an in-person meeting at the end of April to discuss the testbed framework.
 
#* Type Rep Reports - Dani will follow-up with Sara Graves on passing torch. ACTION: Peter and Erin will follow-up time with type reps. 
 
# Other business
 
#* Link on ESIP endorsement wiki page. More to come. Please add thoughts
 
#** Which letter head own organization or ESIP letter?
 
#** The wiki page should provide guidance.
 
#* A wiki page has been started on meeting recording processes
 
  
 
The meeting adjourned at 4:00 ET.
 
The meeting adjourned at 4:00 ET.

Revision as of 09:35, May 11, 2015

Attendees

  • Peter Fox, President
  • Justin Goldstein, Chair, Data Stewardship
  • Denise Hills, Nomination Committee
  • Ken Keiser, Chair, C&B
  • Danie Kinkade, Type I Rep
  • Bill Teng, Chair, Ficom
  • Christine White, Chair, Products and Services
  • Erin Robinson, Staff

Executive Committee Business

  1. Approval of March Minutes
    Denise motioned to approve Minutes as amended and Emily seconded. The minutes were approved by acclamation.
  2. President's Report
    • The DC trip is rescheduled for the week of April 20. Erin & Peter will meet with current sponsors - NASA and NOAA as well as USGS, CEQ and USGCRP.
    • Peter thanked Emily for her leadership of the ESIP Strategic Plan process
    • Peter reported on the two tasks he is leading (1) ESIP Budget & (2) ESIP/FES Fiscal Sponsor Agreement. In the next month, Peter & Erin will work with Bill Teng on the budget and hop to have more to report in May.
  3. Executive Director Report
    • Erin reported that she had extended offers to two candidates - (1) Annie Burgess as the ESIP Community Director and (2) Rebecca Fowler as the Marketing and Outreach Director. Both will start by mid-May.
    • Erin followed up on Peter's comments about the ESIP budget. The draft budget for ESIP looks very positive. In the next several weeks Erin will also be working on the NASA renewal proposal.
  4. Summer Meeting 2015
    • Call for Sessions & Details - There was a great response to the call for sessions. Erin will be following up with travel details for ExCom.
    • Wiki planning space
    • ESIP Code of Conduct - Erin reported that with Partnership she is working on a code of conduct for the meeting.
    • Theme Finalized - Peter thanked the group for all of their input and suggested a final theme iteration: "The Federation of Earth Science Information Partners & Community Resilience: Coming Together". Denise motioned to approve the theme and Bill seconded the motion. The meeting theme was approved by acclamation. Action - List all themes;
  5. Strategic Plan Update
    • Workspace & Roadmap - Emily echoed Peter's thanks for the rest of the groups that have supported the development of ESIP's strategic plan. With Chris Lenhardt and Denise Hills, & staff, the next steps will be to create a doc with all of the supporting material and an executive summary that will be used as the baseline to review accomplishments against.
  6. Committee Reports
    • Data Stewardship - Justin repro
  7. Type Rep Reports
  8. Other Business
    • Please add other business


The meeting adjourned at 4:00 ET.