Difference between revisions of "Draft Excom Minutes"

From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Line 1: Line 1:
 
__TOC__
 
__TOC__
  
== January Excom Call - 2015-01-13, 3 ET==
+
== February Excom Call - 2015-02-10, 3 ET==
 
=== Attendees===  
 
=== Attendees===  
* Bill Teng
+
* LuAnn Dahlman, Chair, Education
* Emily Law
+
* Peter Fox, President
* Ken Keiser  
+
* Justin Goldstein, Chair, Data Stewardship
* Peter Fox
+
* Denise Hills, Nomination Committee
* Danie Kinkade
+
* Ken Keiser, Chair, C&B
* Ted Habermann
+
* Danie Kinkade, Type I Rep
* Christine White
+
* Emily Law, Vice President
* LuAnn Dahlman
+
* Tyler Stevens, Chair, Partnership
* Justin Goldstein
+
* Bill Teng, Chair, Ficom
* Erin Robinson
+
* Curt Tilmes
 +
* Christine White, Chair, Products and Services
 +
* Dan Keyes, Staff
  
 
=== Executive Committee Business ===  
 
=== Executive Committee Business ===  
# Approve Minutes
+
Minutes-
#: Differed because November minutes weren’t posted. For new members, it is a good idea to review past minutes.
+
# Adoption of minutes  
# 2015 Work Plan Discussion – This call is slightly different to give everyone a basis for things coming up in
+
#* Christine moved to approve/ Emily seconded
#* Strategic Plan Update – The plan will be finalized in 2015 with a schedule TBD. New Type reps need to familiarize.  Excom will determine when the Strategic Plan goes to the Assembly. Next steps – Emily will work with Type Reps and all collaboration area to map activities to roadmap.
+
# President’s report
#* Federation-Foundation Relationship
+
#* DC Visit - March 4/5 Erin and Peter will meet with USGS, NASA & NOAA to discuss opportunities facing the federation
#** MOU – Karl Benedict, Erin Robinson and Peter Fox working together to revise MOU. Collaboratively, with both Fed and Foundation attorneys, they will create financial umbrella agreement. This will be an open, transparent process. This is meant to stabilize.
+
#* Briefing package slide deck - a way to communicate with sponsors about where we are and how they could participate
#** ESIP Budget – Peter and Erin are working on a budget for the Federation. Eventually, Ficom will take responsibility for this and will bring to ExCom for approval.
+
#* ESIP Budget - In order to get ESIP’s budget needed Quickbooks to be reformed. This will allow us to generate reports and submit budget categories.  
#** Gift Funding mechanism – Industry term, for money with specific purposes. Let’s us give small amounts of money and have most effective use of money. It will allow us to lower the barrier to entry.  
+
#* ESIP is getting approached by groups wanting ESIP’s endorsement. To date we’ve handled these in an ad hoc way. Peter gave an example of how the process worked for data citation. He then opened the topic up for discussion.  
#** NASA Renewal Proposal – Erin will lead this proposal development. This will be done in a new organizational structure. There will be room for input from ExCom. We will hope to submit in March/April.  Side: We are also pre-planning for the NOAA renewal.  
+
#** Action: Need to write process down on wiki page
#** Sponsor Slide Deck – Where their money goes? Input and review from Excom welcome.
+
#** Q - Example requests? What type would be for Executive Committee vs. What goes to Assembly?
#* Earth Science Decadal Survey – The National Academy of Science is putting together the committee for this decadal survey. This will have a data component. It is a sign of maturity to put forward representatives or recommendations. This doesn’t prevent individuals from self-nominating.
+
#*** Financial impact or how ESIP runs - Assembly as a whole
#* Summer 2015 ESIP Meeting – Visioneers will be spinning up for the Summer 2015 meeting to identify the theme and review past meetings to improve future meetings. The meeting will be July 14-17,2015 at Asilomar, in California.
+
#** Have a comment period before ExCom reviews ( 2 weeks over email)  
#* Partnership Update – We now have the ability to sunset members. We need to establish process for outreach to inactive members. There has also been a surge of members wanting to associate/align with ESIP.  We will be identifying points within ESIP to make connections. Others – CENDI, Council on Data Facilities, RDA, GEO, EarthCube Testbed, WDS …
+
# ED Report
#* Process for handling ESIP endorsements (sign-on, ratify) – when do we take to ESIP assembly. We were approached by WDS to increase membership to network member and Coalition on Data Publication
+
#* Community Manager position has been advertised. Review will begin Feb. 20. (Link)
#* Other ideas?
+
#* Visionairs met last Monday and this past Monday. Theme ideas are coming together (Wiki page)
#** Type Activities – Ted Habermann, Type III Rep shared an idea of spinning up Type Rep clusters. Type I and Type III seem to have common interests. Council for Data Facilities is supporting the Type I. Type III cluster taking advantage of resources that are available to other clusters. Type-specific session.  
+
#* Software & Data Citation workshop in DC; Very interested in ESIP stewarding software citation in addition to ESIP Data Citation Guidelines
#** Energy/Climate, Ag/Climate discussing cross-group collaboration. What are other ways to facilitate this? Peter encouraged Excom to look at collaborations between chairs. It is hard to track all the activities and one motivation for State of Federation. Passive/active welcome. Erin mentioned channels – blog posts, Monday Updates, social media avenues. Strategic Roadmap exercise will also provide some connections too.  
+
#* ESIP 202 in February. Recording is posted on the ExCom page.   
#** Other ideas? Send to Peter and Erin.
+
# Committee Reports
# Other Business –
+
#* Strategic Plan - There is a workspace on the wiki to keep artifacts. Emily is scheduling meeting with each of the collaboration area chairs specifically about how they could fit 
#* ESIP 202 – We will offer training on how to lead collaborative efforts through ESIP. Date TBD. It will be recorded and shared.   
+
#* C&B - Trying to gear up for activity this year. Ken is following up with Erin  
#* Standing ExCom time. We will doodle to maximize regular attendance.
+
#* Ficom - There were four budget requests. Drupal and Data Stewardship budget approved. Group received their first special project and the response is pending. A second special project request came from Science Software Cluster for publishing cost that was approved. Next telecon will address longer-term issues. Link to special projects:
#* Next Meeting – February 11, 2015
+
#* Partnership - Updating the strategic plan with Partnership contributions. No new members for the spring. The group will begin the clean-up of non-active ESIP members.  
# Meeting adjourned at 3:53
+
#* Data Stewardship - Hook Hua presented on PROV-ES because there were interests; Group was also updated in CDF and Consortium for Data Publication. Q -Are telecons recorded? This might be a call of interest of wider interest. Could it be sent in the weekly update? Action: Need document outlining practice of recording or not? Need a wiki page, add to ESIP 202 and  
 
+
#* Education - Interviewing long-standing Education members and planning to make contributions to strategic plan
 
+
#* IT&I - Need email update
== November Excom Call - 2014-11-25, 3 ET ==
+
#* Products & Service - P&S met end of January and began discussing the evolution of the testbed. One suggestion is a biannual hack-a-thon. The group will be working on the April CFP. P&S will also meet with Emily on strategic plan. Link to template:  
 
+
#** Can plans be open? Will discuss with Erin and sponsor about how they feel about budget being shared.  
===Participants ===
+
#* Reminder: Collaboration is an option and explicitly encouraged.  
* Adam Shepherd
+
# Type Rep Reports 
* Anne Wilson
+
#* There have been conversations about what Type Reps might do. Ted had suggested a Type rep cluster. There is an action to follow-up with Type Reps in separate conversation.  
* Beth Huffer
+
#* Type 1 - No report. Daniel had connected with Sara Graves and will follow-up on more ideas and will follow-up with her. Are there specific actions for ESIP to support CDF, since there seems to be an overlap.  
* Bill Teng*
+
#* Type 2 - Steve Richards absent
* Bruce Caron*
+
#* Type 3 - Ted Habermann absent
* Chris Lenhardt
+
# Other Business
* Denise Hills*
+
#* Future agenda items? Please send to Erin or Peter.
* Ed Armstrong
 
* Emily Law*
 
* Erin Robinson
 
* Ken Keiser *
 
* Matt Austin*
 
* Peter Fox*
 
* Sara Graves*
 
* Thomas Huang
 
* Margaret Mooney*
 
* Tom Narock
 
* Tyler Stevens*
 
 
 
===Strategic Plan Discussion:  ===
 
Emily Law shared the ESIP 2015-2020 Strategic Plan Roadmap document. She reviewed the process that led to the creation of the roadmap. Starting in Spring 2014, we polled the ESIP Assembly on goals for the strategic plan – continuing the goals and suggesting new goals. At the ESIP Summer Meeting, we had flip charts posted with each goal and we asked meeting attendees to post ideas on reaching goals. Emily synthesized all the information into the roadmap document adding metrics, and beginning to assign ideas to collaboration areas. With this background she opened up to discussion and asked chairs of all groups to review these assignments and make sure that these are appropriate.
 
 
 
Qs:
 
* Peter reminded the group that this is a two way street – if your group isn’t listed or if you are doing work that fits under the group, so
 
* Ed Armstrong asked for clarification on some definition and where to comment?
 
** Use comment feature
 
* Chris Lenhardt – Can we prioritize goals? Suggested adding +
 
* Please edit/add/update and post comments. Follow-up with Emily, Peter or Erin is welcome.
 
 
 
===Executive Committee Business ===
 
# Approval of October Minutes – Sara 2nd – Emily, Minutes approved by acclimation
 
#: Sara Graves motioned to accept the minutes as presented and Emily Law seconded the motion. The minutes for October were approved by acclamation.
 
# President’s Report
 
#* Executive Director update – Erin Robinson was selected as the new Foundation for Earth Science Executive Director
 
#* Budget – ESIP is developing a budget that will be compatible with FES. This will be on the agenda for the next few meetings.
 
#* Fed/Foundation MOU – This was put on hold until the ED was finalized. It is desirable to move forward and Bruce Caron, C&B chair, is securing an independent legal review. This will be an open process.
 
#* Group on Earth Observations 11th Plenary – Peter will send longer set of notes. GEO just finished it’s 10th year and just completed it’s fifth evaluation (ESIP look at how GEO evaluated). The results of AIP-7 were shared. Based on AIP-7’s progress, Peter invited some of the GEO people to ESIP to share. One emerging area is Data management principles. GEO is developing a strategic plan that will be available soon. This update includes modifications to governance and the participating organization are moving toward partnership model.
 
#* Sustain and recognize ESIP members – Peter invited the leadership to the breakfast at the Winter Meeting, including the ExCom, Cluster and Working Group chairs and Student Fellows. Date TBD.
 
# Staff Report
 
#* Winter Meeting Update – Erin shared the agenda and noted that we are running through the entire day. Early registration will end Dec. 15. We have confirmed Joseph Fiksel and Rick Driggers as plenary speakers. Still working to confirm final plenary speakers. Reminded ExCom to book travel.
 
#* WSSSPE – I attended the Working Group for Sustainable Science Software Practices and Experiences. With Bob Downs, Ethan Davis, Nic Weber and Chris Lenhardt, we published a paper that was presented.
 
# Committee Reports
 
#* C&B – Inactive membership change ready for vote. The vote will start Dec. 3
 
#* Data Stewardship –
 
#** Eos article on PROV-ES context standard is in final stages.   
 
#** Lots of winter meeting activity. (1) Dynamic Citation workshop following up on work that has been going on in Europe through RDA. (2) Defining Data Publication led by Nancy Ritchey. Looking for use cases and commonalities to define for publishers.  
 
#* Education – Erin reported for Roberta that through ESIP sponsorship of NESTA and ESIP collaboration with NESTA, there have been fall workshops sharing ESIP member resources.  
 
#* Finance – The committee met and reviewed budgets submitted from 1 committee and three working groups. Comments have been conveyed to group. Few procedural notes: (1) The committee asked the group submitting budgets to use the template; (2) Ask for specific details regarding travel, to the extent possible. Committee didn’t feel like requesting block funding was appropriate.
 
#* Nominations Committee – Denise Hills is the new chair of the nomination committee. Denise reported that the group solicited nominations and have 1 nominee for each position. Still accepting nominations through Dec. 3. Denise encouraged anyone interested to nominate or self-nominate.  
 
#* Partnership – Tyler reported that the  30-day comment period is ending. (iPlant follow-up).
 
#* Products & Services – Erin reported for Christine that the Testbed Configuration Board met and reviewed seven projects and funded four with one optional.
 
#* IT&I – Erin reported for Matt Austin on the most recent Rant/Rave with Chris Jenkins as a presenter. The next call in Dec will be partnering with P&S showcasing the FUNding Friday and Spring Testbed awards.  
 
#* Type Rep Reports
 
#** Type I – Sara reported that many Type Is at SciDataCon. ESIP was well-represented.
 
#** Type II – No report.
 
#** Type III – Margaret mentioned the GOES-R launch (March 2016). There will be something in the Education realm and committed to have ESIP involved. There will be a workshop.
 
# Other Business?
 
#* Council for Data Facilities will have a 1-day meeting adjacent to ESIP
 
  
 
The meeting adjourned at 3:58 ET.
 
The meeting adjourned at 3:58 ET.

Revision as of 09:34, March 9, 2015

February Excom Call - 2015-02-10, 3 ET

Attendees

  • LuAnn Dahlman, Chair, Education
  • Peter Fox, President
  • Justin Goldstein, Chair, Data Stewardship
  • Denise Hills, Nomination Committee
  • Ken Keiser, Chair, C&B
  • Danie Kinkade, Type I Rep
  • Emily Law, Vice President
  • Tyler Stevens, Chair, Partnership
  • Bill Teng, Chair, Ficom
  • Curt Tilmes
  • Christine White, Chair, Products and Services
  • Dan Keyes, Staff

Executive Committee Business

Minutes-

  1. Adoption of minutes
    • Christine moved to approve/ Emily seconded
  2. President’s report
    • DC Visit - March 4/5 Erin and Peter will meet with USGS, NASA & NOAA to discuss opportunities facing the federation
    • Briefing package slide deck - a way to communicate with sponsors about where we are and how they could participate
    • ESIP Budget - In order to get ESIP’s budget needed Quickbooks to be reformed. This will allow us to generate reports and submit budget categories.
    • ESIP is getting approached by groups wanting ESIP’s endorsement. To date we’ve handled these in an ad hoc way. Peter gave an example of how the process worked for data citation. He then opened the topic up for discussion.
      • Action: Need to write process down on wiki page
      • Q - Example requests? What type would be for Executive Committee vs. What goes to Assembly?
        • Financial impact or how ESIP runs - Assembly as a whole
      • Have a comment period before ExCom reviews ( 2 weeks over email)
  3. ED Report
    • Community Manager position has been advertised. Review will begin Feb. 20. (Link)
    • Visionairs met last Monday and this past Monday. Theme ideas are coming together (Wiki page)
    • Software & Data Citation workshop in DC; Very interested in ESIP stewarding software citation in addition to ESIP Data Citation Guidelines
    • ESIP 202 in February. Recording is posted on the ExCom page.
  4. Committee Reports
    • Strategic Plan - There is a workspace on the wiki to keep artifacts. Emily is scheduling meeting with each of the collaboration area chairs specifically about how they could fit
    • C&B - Trying to gear up for activity this year. Ken is following up with Erin
    • Ficom - There were four budget requests. Drupal and Data Stewardship budget approved. Group received their first special project and the response is pending. A second special project request came from Science Software Cluster for publishing cost that was approved. Next telecon will address longer-term issues. Link to special projects:
    • Partnership - Updating the strategic plan with Partnership contributions. No new members for the spring. The group will begin the clean-up of non-active ESIP members.
    • Data Stewardship - Hook Hua presented on PROV-ES because there were interests; Group was also updated in CDF and Consortium for Data Publication. Q -Are telecons recorded? This might be a call of interest of wider interest. Could it be sent in the weekly update? Action: Need document outlining practice of recording or not? Need a wiki page, add to ESIP 202 and
    • Education - Interviewing long-standing Education members and planning to make contributions to strategic plan
    • IT&I - Need email update
    • Products & Service - P&S met end of January and began discussing the evolution of the testbed. One suggestion is a biannual hack-a-thon. The group will be working on the April CFP. P&S will also meet with Emily on strategic plan. Link to template:
      • Can plans be open? Will discuss with Erin and sponsor about how they feel about budget being shared.
    • Reminder: Collaboration is an option and explicitly encouraged.
  5. Type Rep Reports
    • There have been conversations about what Type Reps might do. Ted had suggested a Type rep cluster. There is an action to follow-up with Type Reps in separate conversation.
    • Type 1 - No report. Daniel had connected with Sara Graves and will follow-up on more ideas and will follow-up with her. Are there specific actions for ESIP to support CDF, since there seems to be an overlap.
    • Type 2 - Steve Richards absent
    • Type 3 - Ted Habermann absent
  6. Other Business
    • Future agenda items? Please send to Erin or Peter.

The meeting adjourned at 3:58 ET.