Documentation Cluster Minutes 2016-03-28
From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Bold text== Agenda/Minutes ==
Principles for Metadata Creation - Matt Mayernik
- principles may formalize data management and metadata education
- "respect des fonds" - respecting the original order
- provenance - maintain the trail of changes, who, when before and during the curation process
- authorship as an access point - derived from traditional library cataloging
- Paris Principles (1961)
- Resource Description and Access (RDA, 2014)
- Describing Archives, a Content Standard (DACS, 2013)
- LIS Metadata principles table
- EML and ISO 19115-2:214 - doesn't have any principles published in doc
- common to find descriptions of functions and what metadata should be achieving
- differences between prinicples (how), goals (why) and functions (what)
- RDA Metadata WG published some metadata principles --
- Geo Data Management Principles
Questions to Discuss:
- What are the principles of metadata creation for scientific data?
- how can principles inform future standards devel?
- Should ESIP Doc Cluster work on a set of principles?
- Should this cluster define metadata principles for earth science data?
- Summer Session Plans