Difference between revisions of "2008-01-09: AQ Cluster Notes"
From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
=== Slides - Stefan Falke===
=== Slides - Stefan Falke===
Revision as of 14:48, January 9, 2008
Slides - Stefan Falke
- Overview of AQ Cluster
- Data Use
- Information technology
- Participants in cluster include providers, mediators and users
- Cluster events
- Hosted workshop on NO2 Data Synthesis - a lot gained from this experience
- Dataspaces/Datasheets - bring together relavent metadata
- Eventspace - CA Smoke example
- Metadata, datasets that are related, web 2.0 content (flickr, blogs, links)harvested by tags
- Explanation by Rudy Husar
- Interoperability stack - need to connect at hardware, software and humanware (web2.0 intro)
- Virtual Workspace Web 2.0 - needs places for resources, tools, forum, space for collaboration on product
- Eventspace - Application or need (working on one topic), facilitate regulatory process on exceptional events. Eventspace devoted specifically to documenting event.
- Dataspace - Facilitate metadata linkage to data. Place to record quality, lineage - service orientation allows connection of metadata
- Many needs/many sources of data - need connector pieces (i.e. workspaces)
- John McHenry - first impressions of Web2.0 very positive
- idea sharing
- new product output
- managing project across institutions very effective
- John McHenry - wanted to disucss barriers
- Frank Lindsay - As we go to web 2.0 and we link to services/data that we didn't create the end users need a clear conception to what was being added how it was created. Legal responsibility systems parallel to totally public system
- George Percivall - Good work on Web services, need workspace that presents services to users for decision support
- Steve Young - Need for community of users, customer rating (youtube, amazon) for capturing user feedback
- Danielle Forsyth - Great service what you have and lineage. Policy User - what should I use?
- Rudy Husar - Dataspaces is new concept, policy user need different workspace. Response to Frank Lindsay - appreciated comments on NASA restructuring already looking at data lineage
- Greg Leptoukh - Barriers. 1) Data lineage what do you extract from process and attach it. Data lineage - chain of organizations processing data and each one needs to add something to the data. Evaluation goes both ways from users and from scientist on how data can be used. 2) Reached limitation of protocols - several aspects of data that don't know how to access. Moderation - not harvesting anything
- Steve Kempler - Scope things that seem to be barriers by prototyping
- , Lots of capabilities and problems that need to be solved. Wants a particular example and then see what the outcome is. Moving this to other applications.
- Stefan - Data Summit defining "Problems" and then looking to see how this can be used for the problem.
- Frank Lindsay - Activities should proceed until aprehended. Can't plan everything, just throw some things out and see if it's useful. People are focused on a data - delightfully surprised how it is used in different ways
- Steve Young - Amazon published lists of favorites by anyone
- Rudy Husar - How lucky are we that we have amazons in perpetual beta. Use human intellect for what it's good for. Amazon Mechanical Turk
- Steve Kempler - Same mechanisms for quality, can also be help files, tools used.
- Stefan - Used dataspaces for catalog.
- Rudy - Stefan registered datasets from Dataspace - can ask wiki for RDF, used style sheet transformer that can be sumbitted to GCMD.
- Stefan - can also generate dataspace from category.
- Greg Leptoukh - push envelope, data lineage. Here is a list and I know a piece is missing. This should be captured and passed through data lineage
- Bruce Caron - Let community decide what's good/bad 90% will come through search engine and will take it and go off. The more connections to other services the more you will be find. Parallel unstructured communities that are using some of the structured content. Datasheet could use both dataspace and any other application (regional or otherwise)
- Danielle Forsyth - if it is an RDF, I can query and restructure in any language I want.
- Rudy Husar - Outcome of different work
- John McHenry - Supply Chain - guarentees about sustainability of services. How do these services make the ESIP mission more quickly realizable.
- Stefan - Supply Chain - A lot of what we do driven by research projects
- Greg - Frontrunners on how system can be interoperable and how our ideas can be implemented and then the more we learn the more we can put back into the system
- Rudy - Has to move into mode where it can be supporting and provide benefits.
- Greg - Operation/maintenance component and pushing the envelope
- Steve Y. - ESIP space allows more efficient way to expose ideas. More opportunities to connect needs and expertise
- Frank Lindsay - Need to respond to what community needs and projects
- Terry Keating - How to spend $$ in most constructive way. How do we deal with the fact that gov't only funds competitive proposals?
- Rudy - Unidata provides networking, standardization for their community (meteorology). Unidata prepares proposals and there is only one Unidata.
- Stefan - Open Geospatial Consortium agencies and sponsors come together in a merged partnership.
- Danielle - Data availability and access and funding not always available on longterm
- Rudy - EPA has recognized that systems are fragmented resources are dwindling. Purpose of Data Summit where is system now and how could the info system be upgraded. What way air quality cluster could/would want to participate? What are areas of commonalities/tangible support that could be provided? technology infused into NASA and EPA and appropriate to use ESIP as mechanism.
- Frank Lindsay - If feds get on board and provide funding and objectives then NASA benefits, but universities and others and not necessarily people you know. Through competitive selection the next objectives are established. $$ to consortiums is a problem.
- Bruce Caron - ESIP allows efficient b/c brings people together and sufficient level of trust.