Winter 2015 Meeting
Dates[edit | edit source]
January 6-8, 2015
Venue[edit | edit source]
The 2015 Winter ESIP Federation Meeting will be held at the Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel (1143 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20007).
Theme Options[edit | edit source]
- Data and services for mitigating and adapting to climate effects in agriculture (from Bill Teng)
- Food Resilience - Climate, Energy, Water Nexus and how data-driven (enabled?) science can support
--is this a bit broad? how about: Earth science and data in support of food resilience
- Adapting Land Use to Accommodate Climate Change using Earth Science Data: Food, Water, Energy & Economics (from Nancy Hoebelheinrich)
Meeting Enhancement Issues and Thoughts[edit | edit source]
Plenary Talks[edit | edit source]
- http://www.usda.gov/oce/climate_change/index.htm (http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?contentid=bio_hohenstein.xml)
- http://www.marktercek.com/ (Mark Tercek, President & CEO of The Nature Conservancy and author of Nature's Fortune")
- http://www.conserveca.org/our-stories/all/2-blog/150-bird-brain-trust#.U-p1IfldWI ; either Mark Reynolds, lead scientist for the Nature Conservancy's California migratory birds program or Sandi Matsumoto, Director of the Migratory Birds Initiative in California
- John Bolten at NASA Goddard (confirmed)
- Tim Stryker, US GEO (confirmed)
- http://foodtank.com/news/2014/08/food-for-tomorrow-the-new-york-times-gathers-food-experts-to-discuss-the-fu#.U_49Fm1hvvU.twitter (possibly some speakers from the Food for Tomorrow Conference)
Discussion and notes[edit | edit source]
LP DAAC is currently working with the MEaSUREs Global Food Security Area Database @ 30m team - w/ some provisional data to be available next year, and project completion in 2018. (from Stacie Bennett).
Has there been a recent ESIP on public engagement, particularly around unconventional energy development? Or even the broader topic of unconventional energy? Could even relate that back to climate... (from Denise Hills)
Give more info to meeting participants…e.g., Do a PRE meeting call on the State of the Federation, for new meeting participants…
Session leads doing a round-up. Some sentences on a poster, people can make comments, feedback potential… spread these around the hallways.
TO do list for session leads… on the wiki.
Remote participation issues remain. Audio is a problem in a lot of hotel conference rooms.
Goddard presentation at winter meeting… local ESIP can be given opportunity to have some greater presence.
State of the Federation talk for every meeting!
I'd like to see the theme broadened to Food Security in climate change conditions. For Alaska, this is not just about agriculture, but includes hunting, fishing, and gathering. There are several Native Alaskan leaders who would make great invited speakers. [Nettie Labelle-Hamer]