Use Case 24: Track Usage
Use Case EIE24: Track Usage
ESIP Earth Information Exchange
Version 1.0 draft
Prepared by Karl Benedict
Earth Data Analysis Center, University of New Mexico
1.Use Case Identification
1.1.Use Case Number
1.2.Use Case Name
Track EIE portal usage by registered users, unregistered anonymous guest users, and automated interfaces.
2.Use Case Definition
Through this use case portal usage will be monitored, with the resulting information feeding into analysis tools that summarize portal usage along dimensions of interest (see notes). Reports based upon usage tracking will summarize results for multiple time intervals.
- Operator - Establishes, maintains, and accesses usage reports.
- Provider (?) - usage statistics should probably be made available to data and service providers for the products that they have contributed to the system.
- 1.Required metrics have been defined
- 2.Required information has been collected for registered users
- 3.Automatic acquisition of basic request parameters has been enabled (i.e. host, object or service request, date, time, data transferred, status of request)
- 1.Record(s) has been added to the usage tracking database reflecting required services
- 2.Regularly scheduled reporting processes have been defined for the collected data
- EIE24.0.1) The user selects a page, data or service resource from the portal interface
- EIE24.0.2) The system captures information about the request, minimally including: timestamp, identifier for the requested resource, ID of the requester (if registered)
- EIE24.0.3) Write the request information into the usage tracking database/log
- EIE24.1.1) Present with opportunity to join
- EIE24.1.2) User joins
- EIE24.1.3) Proceed with request fulfillment
Unregistered User - declines invitation to join
- EIE24.2.1) Present with opportunity to join
- EIE24.2.2) User declines invitation to join (suppress invitations for remainder of session)
- EIE24.2.3) Proceed with request fulfillment
Routine generation of updated reports
- EIE24.3.1) Execute regularly database/log analysis routines to generate reports for recent time periods
Data Provider/Operator accesses use tracking reports
- EIE24.4.1) Data or service provider accesses reporting interface
- EIE24.4.2) Specified report is requested
- EIE24.4.3) Specified report is delivered to the requesting provider or operator.
- 1.Insufficient information provided to capture request. Log in separate error log
- 2.Inaccurate information provided. Log in separate error log.
- 1.EIE01: User management (user)
2.9.Frequency of Use
- 1.Invoked once per request to the portal, potentially multiple requests per second at peak demand times.
- 1.Differential access to resources by members/non-members?
Regularly scheduled report generation capabilities should be enabled for efficient processing of captured log/database
Automated request information capture is available within the used portal technologies.
2.13.Notes and Issues
Need to identify portal metrics for which data need to be collected by the portal. These metrics may be driven by a combination of external requirements (e.g. OMB reporting) and internal requirements (e.g. performance, participation, utilization).