Use Case 09: Dataset Discovery
Use Case EIE09: Dataset Discovery
Earth Information Exchange
Version 1.0 draft Prepared by Karl Benedict Earth Data Analysis Center, University of New Mexico November 22, 2005 Revision History
1.Use Case Identification
1.1.Use Case Number
1.2.Use Case Name
Locate and identify a dataset (collection of grandules) for further action.
2.Use Case Definition
Through this use case, the system User locates and identifies datasets (collections of related grandules) for use or processing. This process results in the User having access to a subset of the datasets in the portal that meet the requirements of the User. Individual datasets, and their constituent granules, may then be identified for further action or processing (e.g. Visualization, analysis, download).
The actor that initiates this use case is the portal User. Providers may also initiate this use case as a precursor to use case EIE05, Manage Collections/datasets.
- 1.Collection metadata have been entered into the system
- 2.Collection metadata have been validated
- 3.Collection metadata have been published
- 1.Datasets or granules have been identified within the system for further action
- 2.Appropriate action (i.e. Map, download, process) controls have been provided to the user to initiate that action.
- 3.Controls are provided to the user to refine the criteria used to 'discover' the dataset.
- EIE09.0.1)The user selects the 'dataset discovery' tool collection from the user interface
- EIE09.0.2)The user performs a 'simple' search using a simple interface that searches commonly queries dataset attribute fields for matching text/terms.
- EIE09.0.3)The results of the search are presented to the user with appropriate action controls associated with the datasets.
- EIE09.0.4)The user selects one of the action controls to 'use' the identified dataset(s) in a specified action (i.e. Visualization, download, processing)
- EIE09.1.1)The user selects the 'dataset discovery' tool collection from the user interface
- EIE09.1.2)The user selects a control that provides access to an advanced search tool that supports spatial, temporal, and parametric search methods. Flow then extends to EIE11-EIE14.
- 1.Search fails to return any datasets. The system should return a message indicating the failure to find any matching datasets and offer to perform another search, perhaps providing a pointer to search tips.
- 2.The search string provided is illegal (i.e. It contains illegal characters or elements, or is blank). The system should return a warning and notification that the requested search was not performed. A pointer to valid search string syntax should also be provided. Log the event.
- 1.EIE11 – spatial search for data.
- 2.EIE12 – temporal search for data.
- 3.EIE13 – parametric search for data.
- 4.EIE14 – free-text search for data.
2.9.Frequency of Use
1-5 times / User session
2.13.Notes and Issues