Use Case 00: User Registration
Use Case <tbd> User Registration for EIE
Earth Science Information Exchange Revision History
Name Date Reason For Changes Version Michael Burnett 12/8/05 Initial Draft 0.1
- 1 1.Use Case Identification
- 2 2.Use Case Definition
- 2.1 2.1.Actors
- 2.2 2.2.Business Rules
- 2.3 2.3.Preconditions
- 2.4 2.4.Normal Flow
- 2.5 2.5.Alternative Flows
- 2.6 2.6.Postconditions
- 2.7 2.7.Extension Points
- 2.8 2.8.Special Requirements
- 2.9 2.9.Assumptions
- 2.10 2.10.Notes
- 2.11 2.11.Issues
1.Use Case Identification
1.1.Use Case Number
1.2.Use Case Name
2.Use Case Definition
An individual wants to register with the EIE.
- 1.User - primary
- 1.While anyone can register as a EIE use, Users may associate themselves with one or more providers.
- 2.User’s roles within a provider context will be restricted.
- 1.User opens the EIE default portal site.
- 2.User selects “New User”, from main page.
- 3.EIE presents a form of information to be populated. The page includes links to help information. Form includes:
- d.Contact information (address, email, phone, etc.)
- e.Optional list of roles and providers.
- f.Association with Areas of Interest
- 4.User selects “Register”.
- 5.EIE responds with visual clue indicating the processing of User Registration.
- 6.EIE validates User Information. (See Alternate Flow 1)
- 7.EIE sends message to new user, confirming registration. Message is also sent to EIE Administrator. (See Alternate Flow 2)
- 8.EIE sends message to Providers specified by user, indicating new user and role. (See Alternate Flow 2)
- 9.EIE triggers “NewUser” event.
- 10.EIE presents welcome page for New User. Page includes links to Getting Started, User Documentation and Personalization pages.
1.Required information is missing or invalid.
- a.EIE presents indication of invalid application and points out mistakes, with details on invalid or missing fields.
- b.EIE logs invalid submission. (For auditing purposes)
- c.Use Case continues with Step 3, with fields populated with previous information.
2.Notification cannot be sent to User
- a.EIE sends an e-mail message to the EIE administrator notifying problem with provider e-mail
- b.Use case terminates.
- c.EIE Administrator notifies user directly. Investigates communication failure.
- 1.User is registered with EIE.
- 2.Appropriate Providers are notified of new user and role.
- 3.“NewUser” event triggered.
- 4.Message sent to User, welcoming them to EIE.
2.6.2Alternate Flow 1
- 1.Message is displayed, indicating a failed registration with details on invalid fields.
- 2.EIE has logged the registration failure
- 3.Use Case continues with Step 3, form is populated with user content.
2.6.3Alternate Flow 2
- 1.A communication failure event has been created.
- 2.EIE Administrator detects the communication failure.
- 3.EIE Administrator communicates directly with Provider, informing of Service approval.
- 4.EIE Administrator evaluates the communication failure.
- 5.Use case terminates.
Personalization Use Case
- Unique username
- Group Associations ?
- Logging requirements
- Guaranteed delivery of messages to providers?
- Event management
- 1.User Registration is unmoderated – there is no human in the loop.
Alternative guaranteed delivery mechanisms may replace email
- 1.What group management requirements are to be levied?
- 2.What are the Provider Roles?