The Long Hot Summer of 2012 - An Experiment in Science Collaboration
Come one, come all, to experiment with science collaboration using the RAMADDA tool
We'll be collecting data, information and other resources related to the "hot" topics this summer, including:
- the derecho of June 29
- the fires in Colorado in June and July
- the drought in Kansas
- the heat waves of May / June / July (take your pick!)
- socio-economic impacts (agriculture, water resources, ...)
ESIP 2012 Summer session Earth Science Collaboratory Hackathon on Friday, July 20 @ 8:30am-10:00am
Who Can Participate?
What Do I Need?
Just a laptop! Or even a tablet! Bring data resources (as URLs or files) if you have 'em. If not, we'll set you up with some suggestions (see below).
Want to Get Started Early?
Email one of the admins (see above), and then get started on the repository at: http://ec2-50-16-106-229.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8080/repository/
Some Useful Data Resources
Proven to work
Not yet tested
- Global Daily Satellite Data from AIRS, via OPeNDAP: http://acdisc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/opendap/ncml/Aqua_AIRS_Level3/AIRX3STD.005/2012/. Includes skin temperature, surface air temperature, humidity, carbon monoxide
- Land-surface Model Output
- NOAH land-surface model output, via OPeNDAP: http://hydro1.gsfc.nasa.gov/dods/NLDAS_NOAH0125_H.002. Land surface parameters...
- NLDAS Mosaic model output, via OPeNDAP: http://hydro1.gsfc.nasa.gov/dods/NLDAS_MOS0125_H.002 heat flux, runoff, soil moisture, etc.)
- Goals & Theme (5 min)
- To assess existing science collaboration frameworks and its relevancy to an ESIP Earth Science Collaboratory
- To experiment with science collaboration specifically using the RAMADDA tool
- We will be collecting data, information and other resources related to the theme of "hot" topics this summer.
- Logistics (5 min)
- Got User_Id?
- Can you sign on? If not, see Hook Hua or Emily Law to get a user_id and/or help signing on.
- Basic capabilities & Demo (10 min)
- create sandbox
- post data
- uploading local datasets
- post OPeNDAP resources
- import THREDDS catalog.xml
- annotate data
- working with data
- grid subset
- grid visualizations
- OPeNDAP localized subset
- time series extraction
- NCO operations
- share data
- rich wiki
- Colorado Wildfires example
- rich wiki
- invite users to collaborate. account creation.
- collaborating with users
- Let the games begin... (60 min)
- Feedback, comments, next steps (10 min)