From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Enter your discussion report-out below:
1. User requirements are expanding, budgets are decreasing, how should data centers respond?
- Turn question around - sponsors should pay for more data/services
- Many data centers are already stretched too thin
- Can data centers re-prioritize? For example, change collection and retention policies, levels of service.
- Need to educate data providers. For example, better metadata. Sponsors should require [make providers work harder].
- Get professional data managers involved early in the data collection process.
- Look for opportunities to co-develop, re-use, or share resources
- Focus on core business (operations)
- Develop partnerships with commercial, value-added, vendors
- Eliminate stovepipes at agencies. For example, discrete archives should be combined.
- Develop a better understanding of users and requirements. For example, subset original granules prior to distribution
- Cultivate Constituents. Focus on consumption chain.
- Increase attention to standards