P&S Monthly Mar 20, 2009
From Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP)
Minutes of March 20, 2009 telecon
Present: Rob Raskin (JPL), Tyler Stevens (GCMD), Ruth Duerr (NSIDC), Marty Landsfeld (New Media Studios), Yuechen Chi (GMU), Daniel Ziskin (NOAA), John Scialdo (CIESIN), Phil Yang (GMU)
- 1. We discussed creation of an ESIP testbed where prototype standards, services, and protocols could be tried out and evaluated, such as:
- permanent, unique naming schemes for datasets (in conjunction with the Preservation and Stewardship Cluster);
- ontologies for data types, data services, and science terms (in conjunction with the Semantic Web Cluster)
- inventory of Federation products and services associated with specific application areas (in conjunction with the Air Quality Working Group, Water Management Cluster, and Carbon Cluster)
- metadata standards for data services.
- The plan is to request funds from the Federation to implement this testbed.
- 2. We discussed possible activities at the ESIP Summer Meeting, including:
- Technical Workshop: "Getting data into Google Earth"
- Talk: "The value of ISO standards for Earth scientists" (perhaps by Ted Habermann)
- 3. Tyler Stevens was selected as the Vice-Chair of this Committee.