Earth Science Data Analytics/2016-4-21 Telecon
ESDA Telecon notes – 4/21/16
ESIP Hosts (Annie Burgess, Erin Robinson), Steve Kempler, Lindsay Barberie, Chung-Lin Shie, Robert Downs, Gabriel Moy, Shea Caspersen, Tiffany Mathews, Byron Peters
1. Tools and Techniques – How can we best organize the plethora of tools and techniques we have uncovered?
2. Open Mic – What else should we be addressing?
Reviewed tools/techniques matrix
Thank you all for attending and participating in our telecon
The objective of today's telecon was to continue putting our arms around the huge number of ESDA related tools and techniques, and associate them with: 1. ESDA types, and; 2. ESDA goals. In addition we discussed the need to attract scientists/researchers/subject material experts to validate our work. We would mostly need domain experts (science and application researchers) to validate the ESDA goals, and validate and enhance the correctness of the tools/techniques that we assign to the different ESDA types and goals. We have not yet figured how to attract this expertise.
We concluded the telecon talking about the next piece of work we have to do. That is:
Associate the tools/techniques listed in the Tool/Techniques Description Matrix: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zMczlWZnQUiubyfcLjwDIQ-SGm7Sm5C2Wo9bc75V-qk/edit#gid=0, with
1. One or more ESDA types we identified (Preparation, Reduction, Analysis) 2. One or more ESDA Goals
Both ESDA Types and Goals are described in: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11fobj9rkwOBtYwqSg5ne2LgouPteDCW15PC42wxmzEU/edit#gid=0
Although you may not be specifically assigned, please feel free to take a look and add comments.
To Do List:
1. Finalize ESDA Definition and Goal categories
2. Write letter to ESIP Executive Committee proposing that the ESDA Definitions and Goal categories be ESIP approved
3. Characterize use cases by Goal categories and other analytics driving considerations
4. Derive requirements from #3
5. Further validate requirements with (many) more additional use cases
6. Survey existing data analytics tools/techniques
7. Write our paper describing ... all the above
May 26, 2016 ESDA Telecon XXIII
1. Tools and Techniques – Status
2. How can we best validate our work with ESDA users?
3. ESIP Summer Meeting Planning. Session Title: Earth Science Data Analytics Tools, Techniques and More (http://commons.esipfed.org/node/9140)
4. Open Mic – What else should we be addressing?2. Open Mic – What else should we be addressing?
1. Steve, others to be contacted: Complete categorization of all identified ESDA tools/techniques by Data Preparation, Data Reduction, and Data Analysis, and goals. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zMczlWZnQUiubyfcLjwDIQ-SGm7Sm5C2Wo9bc75V-qk/edit#gid=0)
2. All - Come prepared to discuss how we can best validate our work with the ESDA Community
3. All - Please identify one or two multi-data researchers who would be willing to provide insights into their experiences and needs for accessing and preparing data for co-analysis of heterogeneous data.