ESC Telecon 1
From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
ESC Telecon #1: 8-15-2011
Question: Should we organize around 4 major thrusts (cyberinfrastructure, sociological, programmatic, user stories)?
- Cyberinfrastructure - architecture, standards, reusable services and components
- Sociological - the sociology of adoption, productive interaction
- Programmatic - how to coordinate efforts across different agencies and umbrella groups
- User Stories - Use Cases for construction of ESC + Outreach Stories
- Maybe start with User Stories?
- First, what is the User Model (e.g., different kinds of stakeholders)
- If different working groups, then what are the charters and when can we integrate?
- Start with User Stories/Stakeholders, then look at subgrouping
- As we do User Stories, identify CI, Soc., and Programmatic implications of the stories
- Template for use cases: these are the things we need to identify
- See NSF Workshop: Understanding Infrastructure: Tensions and Dynamics(?)
- Review on how historical infrastructure has developed, lessons learned
- Looks at socio-technical aspect, tensions from change
- AI: Mark will dig that up
- Also European study on what researchers want (Parse-Insight? Surfshare? Other?)
- AI Chris (Done: User Stories): Set up page wiki for User Stories
Question: How should we respond to NSF EarthCube initiative?
- Fast-track program around data interoperability
- Governance structure to make interop sustainable over the longer term
- Holding telecoms with "community"
- Charrette in Oct.(?)
- Community to provide ideas on how to achieve these goals
- Vette at Charette
- EAGER award (no peer review)
- 300K to demo capabilities
- + 6 mo: Winners down-select to peer-reviewed process for 1-2M awards
- +12 mo: Start building infrastructure
- Assist on Discovery Cluster white paper?
- Author ESC white paper?
- 2 Foci: governance and data interoperability (interworkability?)
- What about overall ESIP white paper? Need to talk to excom folks.
- But just in case, put a short discussion in paper on ESIP governance, then do Discovery Cluster governance
- Our model is informed by Open Provenance Model
- Not just standards but also conventions across the community
- BUT only a handful of active people on this
- One paper or two papers?
- Writeup needed at excom level summarizing spectrum of clusters, then discovery in detail, then ESC
- Or two papers, referencing each other, one on governance (only), one on discovery
- Is white paper equivalent to an entry for EAGER grant?
- Who is going to the charrette?
- One person or two? e.g., Carol at exec level, +somebody from Discovery Cluster
- AI (Done): Mark - find out if Excom is going to write a governance paper (others chime in as necessary)
- AI : Ruth: start with abstract and outline paper so others can volunteer or be assigned writing assignments
- Will include discussion on governance
- Timeline: need to start planning winter meeting? next telecon...