ESC Human Factors
From Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP)
What do we do?
- Investigate critical social questions for the ESC, e.g.,
- Under what conditions are scientists most likely to share results?
- Determine how to reach self-sustaining critical mass of ESC contributors
- (Hmmm...fission as metaphor? Discuss...)
How do we do it?
- Identify key social and behavioral challenges to ESC
- Mine research for applicable, actionable information
- e.g., NSF's Virtual Organizations as Sociotechnical Systems (VOSS) program
- Analyze the social underpinnings of successes and failures in social media
- Propose technical and programmatic solutions to social quandaries
- e.g., Gamification to engage users? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification)