ESC 2012 11 19
From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Participants: Chris Lynnes, Dave Meyer, Erin Robinson, Steve Aulenbach, Angela Murillo, Emily Law, Bruce Caron, Erin Robinson, Jeff McWhirter, Michael McLennan, Ruth, Carol, Hook Hau, Steve Aulenbach
ESIP Meeting Proposed Session #1: Ideas for designing an emergent ecosystem
- See "Design for a Thriving UX Ecosystem"
- The role of the "Open World" assumption
- The roles of users and other stakeholders in the ecosystems
- Implications for Ownership Bias to overcome Status Quo and Familiarity Biases
- Determining needed relationships among components
- Role of interoperability standards?
- Designing and implementing "selection pressures"
- Designing good emergent behavior and suppressing bad behavior
- Accounting for coexisting niche-fillers
- Encoding the ecosystem "design"
- We should work out examples to work out during the session to initiate discussion
- User biases when there is personal data, ownership bias, plays crucial role in collaboration
- Add ideas for either session
- Dave: Has use-case scenarios that he will deliver before the meeting. He will post them on the wiki
ESIP Meeting Proposed Session #2: ESC Planning for 2013
- Understanding NEX (NASA Earth Exchange) current and planned capabilities for collaboration
- Leveraging other Programs: what can we get _____ to make for us? And How?
- NASA CMAC
- NSF EarthCube
- NASA ACCESS
- NASA AIST
- Collecting Use Cases
- We can add Dave’s use cases here.
- Deploy HubZero
- Collaborative System Mash-Up (RAMADDA + HubZero, RAMADDA + NEX, NEX + HubZero?, gSocial + RAMADDA, ...)
- is anyone using NEX?
- NASA Cemac program is using NEX
- NEX comes in two parts, there is a back end part and front end part, which is like sharing workflows
- Thinking about bringing someone in who is using NEX
- What we need is a general approach that we can apply to these separate programs, or at least a meta approach so that we can work with other programs.
- How do we get participation beyond NASA?
- What is going on within the EarthCube funding and other funding?
- How are we going to present this?
- Discussion or mixture of discussion and presentation
- Start with simply slides to catch everyone up, then get into discussion
- Five slides or so to show what we did this year