Discovery Telecon 2013-02-12
From Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP)
- Tuesday, December 11. 4:00pm ET / 1:00pm PT
- Chris Lynnes
- Aleksandar Jelenak
- Christine White
- Hook Hua
- Nga Chung
- Ruth Duerr
- Yonsook Enloe
- Call-in User_5
- James Gallagher
- Brian Wilson
- Erin Robinson
- Kathleen Baynes
Previous Action Items
- Everyone: think of different slices that would be useful subgroups to focus on for grand challenges.
- Hook: send out email at end of week to solicit contributions to implementation lists
- Christine White - Send out a list of options for maintaining the GeoPortal server on AWS. What level of effort will be needed from the Discovery Cluster?
- Status of RFC
- Proposal for returning collection level data access points
- Quoted search terms
- Other topics
- Chris merged input from Andy Bingham and Ruth Duerr on DataCasting
- Want to focus on Atom based technologies in this RFC
- Steve Richard input - need XML examples
- We need a table that lists all the key elements of the standard (for this RFC, was added as a summary table in Appendix)
- Seeking someone to look over / complete the columns of the table / contribute examples
- Add a collection casting ("access" link type) from NSIDC example
- Granule level query to some enclosure or OPeNDAP item
- Some NSIDC links point to ordering page, text file, FTP directory, OPeNDAP server, etc.
- OPeNDAP dataset level get a directory HTML page or a THREDDS XML file
Collection Level Data Access Points
- Specify a MIME type that would be indicative of OPeNDAP directory
- Email thread of "x-" vs. "vnd." MIME types
- Needs more discussion / definition
- Put together a DCP to put together an OPeNDAP, order pages, and FTP directories, etc.
- Is this something that's not worth working out at this point?
- NSIDC has so few datasets that are OPeNDAP that it would not be high priority
- No current plans to implement OPeNDAP extension for most interested parties. Exclusion is PODAAC.
- We don't have the resources for the non-OPeNDAP things at this time.
- James is interested in working on it in the future, defer for one month.
- Chris may proof of concept for OPeNDAP stuff at GSFC
Phrase Search Terms
- Interest in writing OPeNDAP clients
- Running into the heterogeneity amongst OPeNDAP servers
- No standard for how to process more than one word in the search
- There is no standardization or support for phrase searches
- Very common thing for major search engines
- Could put together a short DCP for quote enclosure
- Would this be too much of a burden for server (Solr and Google supports)
- This may be an implementation specific construct…
- Error codes and the use of boolean ("AND"/"OR")
- Is this quoted phrase behavior a "must" type of behavior or "should"?
- Christine - What to do with GeoPortal implementation (on AWS), incurring monthly fee, no one is actually playing with OpenSearch capabilities. Keep in on Amazon? Move it to Github? Etc…