Discovery Telecon 2012-06-19
From Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP)
- Tuesday, June 19, 2012. 4:00pm ET / 1:00pm PT
- WebEx Info:
- Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 1-877-668-4493
- Attendee access code: 231 407 50
- To start the online portion of the Personal Conference meeting , go to https://esipfed.webex.com/mw0306ld/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=esipfed&service=1 and select the Discovery Cluster meeting.
- Chris Lynnes
- Ken Keiser
- Richard Strub
- Nga Chung
- Carol Meyer
- Eric Rozell
- Christine White
- Ruth Duerr
- Chris Lynnes - Start a page of URLs and resources for the hack-a-thon
- Chris Lynnes - Set up coordination page for mentors
- Chris Lynnes - Work with Hook to get list of packages needed for the testbed VM
- Chris Lynnes - Send out "marketing" message to esip-all
- Hook Hua - What are you going to mentor!?
- Eric Rozell - Set up the VM on the ESIP shared account for people to use during the hack-a-thon
- Anyone - Pick a technology/language to mentor (or backup mentor) at the hack-a-thon!
- Everyone - Review DCP-7 so you're informed when it goes up for vote!
Logistics, agendas and marketing for ESIP Meeting sessions
Discovery Hack-a-thon (Hook, Chris)
- Testbed configured for Hack-a-Thon
- Mentors for Hack-a-Thon
- 3 or 4 slides
- Show some code of how to interact with Discovery-related technologies
Metadata casting for data services and events (Brian)
- This was not covered...
Discovery Catalog Open Source Software Evaluation (Yuanjie)
- Chris will send out message to esip-all.
Synergy, spinoffs from EarthCube Charrette (Chris)
User Intent model (Discussion with Microsoft*)
- Sameer from Microsoft discussed "user intent modeling" at the charette
- Is there something to the concept of "user intent"?
- Users have to know about the Earth Science data search engine before they can use (must be found from Google/Bing)
Discussion of role of Discovery services in ESC and EarthCube
- EarthCube not yet talking technologies, mostly process...
- We should jump in again once EarthCube is ready for implementation
EarthCube Discovery Data Mining and Access session at ESIP
What's next for DCPs?
DCP-5: Valids and Restrictions for Query Elements
- This is going to be further revised using the OpenSearch parameters extension
- Updates coming soon!
- Side Topic:
- We need to start considering sustainability of this cluster
- We also need to start being more aggressive about deciding and implementing the DCPs
- Some may be concerned without how much influence they should have on DCP decisions
- Best Practice: Not opposed should equal a yes! (Though, if you can't understand a proposal or why its needed, then it may not be good!)
DCP-7: Error Handling Best Practices for Discovery Response
- Can't discuss without Hook...