Data Management Training/meeting notes 20150924

From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners

Meeting Agenda - Data Management Training - 2015-09-24 9:30am PDT


Link to webex: https://esipfed.webex.com/mw0401lsp11/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=esipfed Passcode: 23138372

Telecon: 1-877-668-4493 Access Code: 23138372


Attendees: Nancy Hoebelheinrich, Amber Budden, JC Nelson, John Faundeen, Tamar Norkin, Shelley Knuth, Sophie Hou.


Agenda and Notes:

  • Welcome & quick intro to the new members of this small group.
  • JC, John, Tamar, Amber and Sophie introduced themselves.
  • Discussion / answering any questions about background / context for our work.
  • No additional questions about background/context from the group.
  • 2-page proposal will be prepared in response to for USGS’ CDI RFP.
  • Sophie suggested two options to demonstrate the capabilities of the clearinghouse: pick one topic and implement all the aspects of this topic in detail or show the overall structure of the clearinghouse and how it builds on the current effort.
  • JC suggested that we could build the clearinghouse based on the USGS Science Data Lifecycle (page 2 of this document - http://www.usgs.gov/cdi/cdi-ssf/cdi-ssf-components.pdf).
  • Nancy suggested that we could tag the resources using the data lifecycle.
  • John supported JC’s suggestion and mentioned that the timing of the clearinghouse would be really helpful to the USGS’ data management effort.
  • Shelley also agreed that JC’s suggestion would be useful, especially in engaging the broader community who might want to participate in/contribute to the clearinghouse.
  • Nancy shared that Erin suggested using the “Open Science Framework” (https://osf.io/) for the clearinghouse project.
  • Amber will send out a DataONE webinar that will help in reviewing the “Open Science Framework” (the webinar will be on October 13).
  • The domain focus for the clearinghouse should stay with science for the prototype, but we would plan additional resources to indicate how the topics can be extended to other domains.
  • Amber suggested including Stephanie from the DMPTool because DMPTool has already done a lot of work in collecting the related questions/resources that can be reviewed in preparing a data management plan.
  • Review of focus & requirements for CDI RFP
  • What area(s) of the CDI Science Support Framework could / should our project target?
- There was a training session on the RFP process; Tamar (& Shelley) was/ were able to attend and will help in sharing the session information.
- Important to demonstrate that there will be collaborations among different USGS locations as well as with external organizations.
  • Approach & work plan for creating the SOI
  • What is our approach & what tasks can be done w/in a 6 – 12 month timeline?
  • Letters of support from?
  • It would be helpful if people from today’s call could consider writing letters of support for the project;
  • Sophie suggested that Matt Mayernik from NCAR might contribute a letter of support; she will mention the idea to him
  • Who can do what?
  • Nancy, Tamar & Sophie to start the writing; others will review once a reasonable draft is produced
  • How should we involve rest of group?
  • Timeline


- Funding might be able to apply to travels, activities to put together the framework, development activities, outreach presentations/publications, surveys (to be able to fill in the initial community feedback).
- Amber suggested that a simple survey might be useful to find out what topics would be of interest to people, and that could possibly be part of the in-kind contribution if something like Survey Monkey or other online tools were used.
- JC noted that USGS via Mike Frame’s department (area) had conducted an extensive survey of topics of interest to people in 2014; that survey might be very helpful in identifying topics for educational resource creation or descriptive tags as well, and could also represent an in-kind contribution, perhaps
- In terms of coordination of the collaboration, Amber suggested that perhaps we can take NCEAS’ model: select a hosting site but place all the participants’ logos on the site
- Nancy to contact Erin & Matt Jones regarding these efforts to see if collaboration would be beneficial to both