Data Management Training/meeting notes 20150903

From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners

Meeting Agenda - Data Management Training - 2015-09-03 9am PDT


Link to webex: https://esipfed.webex.com/mw0401lsp11/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=esipfed Passcode: 23138372

Telecon: 1-877-668-4493 Access Code: 23138372


Attendees: Nancy Hoebelheinrich, Amber Budden, Justin Goldstein, Madison Langseth, Matt Mayernik, Bob Downs, Shannon Rauch, Shelley Stall, Amanda Whitmire, Ruth Duerr, Lynn Yarmey, Sophie Hou


Agenda and Notes:

1. Brief intros / Recap / Goals based on the notes in ESIP wiki (10 min).

a. Link to Notes: http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Data_Management_Training/meeting_notes_20150714
b. Key topics discussed during the summer: New training topics, potential funding, and authors for the next phase of the data management short course.

2. Anything to add about what’s been happening? (5 min).

a. RDA Interest Group - Education
i. Bob and Lynn could help in looking into joining the group.

3. Focus upon Clearinghouse concept (15 min).

a. Brainstorming ideas - do some on call. (see notes below)
b. Objective: create 1 pager describing who, what, why etc. for fund shopping
i. Nancy, Sophie, Madison, Bob, and Amber will get together to start the effort.
1. USGS CDI - October 9th
- Madison will help in providing the information regarding funding availability and guidance for submitting project statement.
2. Nancy will contact ESIP (Erin &/or Annie Burgess) up a new list to send and receive updates/information regarding the data management training activities of this group and others, and to arrange periodic teleconferences.
c. Who wants to work on that?
i. Discussion for next call.

4. Other ideas to focus upon (15 min):

a. Data Management Comparison Update.
i. Consistency in the narrative.
- Who we are and who are our audiences.
ii. Methods to engage users of the training courses.
- What are some of the examples of the methods that helped you learn data management?
iii. Our approach / framework for the next phase of training topics (gap analysis)?

5. Regular telecon meetings? (10 mins) - Yes!

a. If so, schedule?
i. Likely to start with monthly meetings first and more frequent meetings with smaller groups of people, as needed.
b. Discussion topics for next meetings (e.g., ESIP’ course outline evaluation, other topics to address in training, etc.)
c. Who else to involve?
i. People can sign up once the new list is made available.


Brainstorm: Data Management Training (DMT) Clearinghouse

1. What is a “Clearinghouse”?

a. Consolidated list of different resources.
i. Who created the resources, with what kind of topics, for what reasons, and for which audiences.
ii. Provide short descriptions for each of the resource to distinguish the key focuses for the resources (like annotated bibliography).
b. Including different types of data management tools.
c. Methods for evaluating success of the data management training resources.
i. Comparing the resources with each other.
- CLEAN evaluation project - peer evaluation of the resources available for teaching climate and energy science. See: http://cleanet.org/index.html

2. Is a DMT Clearinghouse needed? -- yes; would be useful

a. Lots of resources out there, but no one source for information; would be useful to have even a basic database tracking DMT resources
b. DataONE’s experience: has internal information available to put DataONE’s resources together, but this information is currently not publicly available.

3. If needed, what should a DMT Clearinghouse “do”?

a. A curated list of data management course materials, things that would be used to teach RDM: http://esciencelibrary.umassmed.edu/data-literacy/course-materials
i. The clearinghouse should utilize the community’s knowledge
ii. Keeping information updated by crowd sourcing could be more effective and sustainable, especially for sustainability and relevance as practice related to data management evolves.
iii. Links to assessments of resources so that someone looking for a resource could find out what it has worked best for in terms of topics, audiences
b. A continually updated list of available training sessions, both live and online
c. This is still an area of research; the education / training / librarian communities are still not sure of how best to provide the information / training needed, so we want to approach with flexibility and, probably, modularity.
d. It would be helpful to diversify the disciplines beyond just the sciences.
i. Even if we start with one domain as a starting point, it would be good to build in the capability to be able to scale and extend.
ii. Very useful to look at the RDA model of providing resources / information as it is a cross-domain organization that allows flexibility and extensibility in approach rather than too narrow a focus

4. Who would be the audience?

a. We might not need to restrict ourselves; i.e., building in the capability to scale up and expand the domains covered.

5. What organizations could / should be involved? How?

a. COPDESS using the Open Science Framework (?) to catalog repositories, but also possibly, training resources- Kerstin Lehnert
b. NCEAS - Matt Jones
c. RDA
d. ESIP Libraries collaboration area?
e. Data carpentry (DLF) - training data librarians to be able to give trainings at their home institutions (October).
i. Amanda is offering a 2 day workshop after DLF in October to train the trainers on offering Data Carpentry courses; She will inform Tracey Teale, Director of Data Carpentry of our efforts; NH to follow up as well.

6. What questions need to be addressed to continue our exploration?

a. How should the clearinghouse be made available/accessible to the public?