Data Management Training/meeting notes 20150202
Data Management Training - cross domain collaboration 2 February 2015
- Recap of what we thought about doing next from the last meeting (see below)
- Notes from last meeting: Data Management Training X Connections 22 July 2014
- What would we like to / need to accomplish?
- Identify similar efforts?
- Find additional teachers / trainers / authors?
- Find / develop more / other educational materials?
- Next steps
Attending: Ruth Duerr, Amanda Whitmire, Nancy Hoebelheinrich, Jacob Carlson, Sophie Hou, Justin Goldstein
Regrets: Erin Robinson, Denise Hills
- New coalition of publishers; have NSF funding for a data training catalog for the Earth Sciences, called the Coalition on Publishing Data in the Earth and Space Science (COPDESS, http://www.copdess.org/)
- Several of us are involved in Research Data Management (RDM) education efforts. Action: let's all share our materials and look for gaps, confluence, areas for collaboration and development, etc.
- Amanda: http://guides.library.oregonstate.edu/grad521syllabus
- Ruth: has a syllabus from the course for credit that she teaches at UIUC on Data Curation; (shared via email) - will also be placed on the esip Data stewardship wiki page
- ESIP Modules: http://commons.esipfed.org/datamanagementshortcourse
- Jake/Data Information Literacy: http://datainfolit.org
- the DIL project case studies will be posted at: http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/dilcs/ hopefully very soon
- Looking especially to build a community of practice around those providing data information literacy training
- Would be useful to develop a framework for existing and continued development of educational materials related to data literacy and data management training; perhaps as the basis of an NSF grant
- Ruth notes that there is funding available from Earth Cube for data management training
- specific program: http://www.nsf.gov/publications/pub_summ.jsp?WT.z_pims_id=504780&ods_key=nsf13529
- We'll all look this over & send via email ideas about how we could collaborate and possibly get some funding for what we want to do (TBD)
- Despite the fact that this solicitation is focused on Earth Science data, might be possible to bring out the foundational, cross-domain aspects of data literacy, data management, and data stewardship as part of what is created from a collaboration such as this
- Discussed the idea of soliciting feedback on existing modules in order to ascertain their effectiveness, but also to identify gaps, and possibly find authors for other training modules or curriculae
- Might also be useful to invite Kerstin Lenhardt to a call to find out what they're planning to do for the NSF funded catalog and other products coming from the NSF for COPDESS (see above link)
- They are also planning to build a repository of educational resources using the RE3 schema underlying it, and then for Course materials, build their own schema
- They are working with the Open Science.org folks, so might be more information there http://www.openscience.org/blog/ (NH couldn't find anything , but maybe it's there somewhere?
- All: Look at the EarthCube solicitation proposal and put comments / thoughts about how we could write or participate in a proposal on data management on a TBD ESIP Data Stewardship wiki page
- NH to work with Erin, Sophie and Justin to figure out the best place to put this info
- NH: Set up doodle poll for meeting in 2 wks on a possible Earth Cube proposal (Jake will not be able to attend, but will participate in the online discussions.
From mtg in July:
- Ideas for potential collaborative work on: surveys, analytics, community building
- Evaluation metrics & process previously supported by NSF: CLEAN http://cleanet.org/clean/literacy/index.html
- Directory of resources for librarians: http://esciencelibrary.umassmed.edu/DIL_Home
- (All) Look at each others resources as noted above (please add more as they occur to you)
- (All) Think about further areas of collaboration & get back together in ~ a month when (perhaps) Amanda will be able to join, and Erin.