Cloud Telecons 2
Oct 24, 2011 ESIP cloud computing cluster Telecon
- Participants: Carol, Erin Robinson, Ken Keiser, Rick Martin, Thomas Huang, Long Pham, Brian Nim, Chritine, Brand Niemann, Hook, Phil Yang, Qunying Huang, Robert Casey
- Co-Chair: Thomas Huang, Rick Martin, Phil Yang
- Supportor: Qunying Huang
- Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 1-877-668-4493
- Attendee access code: 23133897#
- Cluster objective, communication recap.(website, email list, etc)
- Winter meeting cloud session plan.(3 put in)
- ESIP Cloud Computing Testbed
- Webinar cloud presentations by companies.
- A Cloud computing testbed for ESIP.
- Activities outside biannual meeting.
- Other relevant topics
Cluster objective, communication recap (website, email list, etc).
- Wiki page: http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Cloud_Computing
- Brian: Add ESIP summer meeting link in the resources achieve
- Email List: [email protected]
- To register in the email list, use the following link: http://rtpnet.org/mailman/listinfo/esip-cloud
- Phil will send out email to invite people to subscribe
- Monthly meeting: the fourth Monday 1:00 PM -2:00PM of every month
- Phil will send out the reminder (every 4-5 monthly reminder)
- Add more resources, whitepaper to the resources achieve
Winter meeting cloud session plan
- P&S Tasks and cloud computing, beyond cloud computing. not focused on cloud, could put this one before other two as requirements? "create on demand virtual machines for ESIP." where do we deploy the machines.
- Sessions: 2 in am, 2 in pm, different number of speakers,
- Erin: An hour and half for each; speaker numbers are depending on how many minutes per speaker
- Panel: NASA Cloud Computing, representatives from headquarter and centers
- Phil will invite Mike talk about NASA nebular technology in general
- Thomas will be responsible for inviting speakers from JPL
ESIP Cloud Computing Testbed
- Great interest from other clusters to have a testbed, several companies are contacted and we hope to have an outline, and presentation about what could this be and how we do.
- Dec.19 (another call): do doodle by nov; defining goal, boundary, for commercial vendors, free would be great for ESIP, what vendors are providing?
- Emails discuss what should be included; assess use case for the testbed, what we want to get out of it?
- Evaluation: what the commercial services are provided for testbed
- Cloud as a test, whether it is suitable for supporting different talks
- Using the cloud , where we will be going
- Ken: compare the capabilities of different cloud vendors would be beneficial for the members
Webinar cloud presentations by companies.
- 30 minutes for presentations from vendors talking about their accomplishments; Introduce their technologies, products.
- Nov monthly meeting: Rick will set up a presentation
- Topics of the presentations based on audiences
- What do we think, what we want to hear, e.g., developing or applications communities;
- Amazon three sessions structure: 1) Decision-making, 2) Architecture,3) Solution session
- What the real/true costs for, processing I/O, storage?
- JPL : Big data in the cloud computing
A Cloud computing testbed for ESIP.
- Identify some use cases: Start from the current activities what they wish from the cloud computing
- After obtaining email list, we can send out the email to ESIP members to fill in the wish lists
- Verify the requirements of the testbed activities for cloud computing, check how far we can go on the next telecon
- Trial not for production, start out with free, looking at a number of providers to get free test resources
- Deploy your own, have many options so we won't be locked in, alert our potential users about the locked in problem, JPL is doing that with several vendors but having an internal one for itself.
- Provide information about when using different platforms for different types of applications in terms of price, computing capacity, etc. Government data may need security so to alert potential users.
- Summarize the discussion, and talk again next monthly meeting
Activities outside biannual meeting.
- data.gov type of services.
Other relevant topics