Cloud Telecons 02/22/2016
To start the online portion of the Personal Conference meeting
- Go to https://esipfed.webex.com/mw0306ld/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=esipfed&service=1 click on Cloud Computing Cluster title
- Enter name and email
- Password: 231 367 82
To start the audio portion of the Personal Conference meeting
Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 1-877-668-4493
Attendee access code: 231 367 82
Feb 22, 2016 ESIP cloud computing cluster telecon recap
Participants: Aashish Chaudhary, Erin Robinson, Frank Greguska, Fei Hu, Long Pham, Phil Yang, Stephan Klene, Teresa Kauffman
Topic 1: Introduction/Demo of the Hybrid Cloud Platform in GMU (Presented by Phil Yang)
- Hybrid Cloud computing platform: the resources will be shared among the three sites of STC: GMU, University of California, Santa Barbara, and Harvard University, and will serve the center partners as well.
- Hardware: 6 columns (504 nodes in total, 84 nodes per column) , infinit band(about 10 Gbites/s)
- Cloud platforms: Private Cloud(Eucalyptus, OpenStack); Public cloud(AWS); DC2: hybrid cloud management systems;
- Softwares on cloud: data managements(Rasdaman, HBase, PostGIS), data analytics softwares;
- Web Portals: http://184.108.40.206/sthcp/
- Several use cases on cloud: Dust storm( increase understanding of dust processes, and enhance the capability of feature identification and movement tracking for natural phenomena.); MUDROD( extract useful information from big log files to improved data discovery and access across data centers); Spatial Hadoop(utilize Hadoop to process vector data);
- DC2 demo: cloud resource monitoring; Link accounts to projects; manage instance, images, ip, firewall; monitor funding usage for different projects; funding alert;
- Demo Video(http://220.127.116.11/sthcp/document.php):
- ) End users demo: Operate the instance( launch instance; access the instance); set the configuration on vm; publish the service;
- ) Project manager: set funding alter, deactivate project, mange existed users, and so on;
- ) Privileged users: submit golden images and share it with others if anything on the VM is good; manage vms: key pair, start ,create vm; access s3, create storage, snapshot, allocate ips;
- Can we control which platform to use? Yes, associate different accounts to different cloud platforms.
- What is your vision for the hybrid cloud platform in the summer? Workshop to show how to use this hybrid cloud platform by specific applications;
Topic 2: Summer meeting(technique oriented)
- Workshop: Let more people try the hybrid cloud platforms, and run application; Get the users’ feedback about the cloud, specially whether the hybrid cloud platform can provide good environment for different applications.
- Data container projects may give the latest project reports
- How many sessions can be proposed for each group? Erin: each group could propose 2-3 sessions per group. It depends how well the session is prepared, and need collaborate with other groups.