Cloud Computing Telecon
From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
- Participants:Ken Keiser, Rich Martin, Thomas Huang, Phil Yang
- Bridge: Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 1-877-668-4493; Attendee access code: 23133897#
Winter Meeting Recap
- Thomas will upload slides from our speakers
- Take baby steps and capture lessons learned and best practices
- Look into all possible, Linux, Windows, ESIP Private Cloud
- A need about when could we have the cloud for our use cases
Cloud Computing Testbed Discussion
Cloud platform needs: while most looking for free computing, but we need something that is appealing
Use Cases: Develop a usage requirements, how much resource is needed, and how to coordinate?
- P&S 5 testbeds
- Big data processing, uploading, download (Peter C.)
- Near Real-time processing earth observation data (J. Evans)
- Best Configured OpenDAP (Dave, Long)
Collaborations with Other Clusters:
support the needs of cloud computing from other clusters, and identify use case from them too
- Semantic Web
- Earth Science Collaboratory
Cluster Work Plan & Action Items
- Develop community consensus matrix of requirements for cloud computing adoption,
- Identify potential applications to be running on the resources,
- Identify cloud resources (Amazon, Microsoft, Nebula, Private Cloud),
- An execution plan with a target of presenting in the summer meeting and EarthCube,
- Develop a proposal through P&S committee asap.
- Document guide for users to explore or determine if cloud could help with an application
- Push cloud computing in the RFP from both agencies or users to see if cloud should be adopted or not
- How to run cloud computing services.
- How to migrate Earth science applications onto cloud environment and how to best leverage the cloud.
- Help us mature the open source foundation.
- Develop a community agreed matrix for testing cloud.
- Cloud computing resources
- Best configured virtual images for a number of applications
- EarthCube & Summer meeting