<Back to Jan 5, 2012 Program
Technology Tools that Enhance Collaboration: Solutions from Climate Change Education Initiatives
This session will feature technology tools that enable collaboration without travel (and minimum carbon) as presented by ESIP members who use these tools in Climate Change Education initiatives. Demonstrations will be accompanied by a discussion of associated best practices. Below is a list of most of the tools that we'll feature:
join.me - instantly share your screen with others (for free!)
Google Sites - collaborate over the same document
Google Forms - use a survey to identify group priorities
Webinars - teach a seminar and interact remotely with multiple participants
EET - give educators an introduction to analyzing your data
Mobile Apps - share data anywhere with anyone
Drupal - icommons, online workspaces and more
ESIP Teacher Wiki - staying connected remotely
General Info[edit | edit source]
- What: ESIP 2012 Winter meeting, Tech Tools that Enhance Collaboration: Solutions from Climate Chance Education Initiatives.
- When: Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 2:00pm-3:30pm. Track 4.
- Where: Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel, Room: DUPONT
- Description: This session covers various web tools and technology that enhance collaboration--with live demonstrations.
- Session Lead(s): LuAnn Dahlman, Tamara Ledely, Margaret Mooney, Becky Reid
- ESIP Collaboration Areas: Education
Notes[edit | edit source]
Key Topics and Contributions[edit | edit source]
Tools and Demonstrations
Webinar Best Practices
- Becky Reid, Tamara Ledely, Margaret Mooney
- Three people is best: 1 presenting, another checking questions online and the third monitoring the webcast.
- Must account for lag time between presenter and attendees especially for video content
- Alan Gould
- Overview of google sites with examples of sites used in climate education
- LuAnn Dahlman
- Showed join.me. A web based example of how to use join.me, allows for free teleconferencing without a preset number.
Earth Exploration Toolbox
- Tamara Ledely
- Earth Exploration Toolbox. A image analyses tool kit.
- Annette Schloss
- Picture post and citizen science.
Google Documents and Forms
- Brent Maddux
- google docs allow for interactive and simultaneous editing and discussion of written documents, spread sheets, and powerpoints.
- google forms can be used to create fast polls and very quick data analyses and summary statistics of the responses without.