Approved Excom Minutes/Excom 2015/September2015

From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
  • Denise Hills, Nomination Committee
  • Ken Keiser, Chair, C&B
  • Ethan Davis, Chair, IT&I
  • Christine White, Chair, Products and Services
  • Erin Robinson, Staff
  • Annie Burgess, Staff
  • Emily Law, Vice President
  • Justin Goldstein, Chair, Data Stewardship
  • Bill Teng, FiCom
  • LuAnn Dahlman, Education
  • Ted Habermann, Type III Rep
  • Peter Fox, President
  • Tom Narock, Semantic Web Cluster Rep

Minutes

  1. Executive Committee Business
    Tom Narcok, representative from the Semantic Web Cluster, reported that the Semantic Web cluster would like to evolve from a cluster to a committee. He noted that semantic web technologies as a whole have come to a point of maturity where they have permeated the ESIP community.
    There was a general consensus amongst ExCom members that it is a good idea and the group would like to see more about how semantics could integrate with other ESIP clusters. It was also noted that it is the roll of ExCom to provide leadership in moving clusters forward.
    • The proposal to become a committee is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/175d6RLBAkgMBAY1C6A6lZiYSeo2s4Dul-osG2sfr94E/edit?usp=sharing
    • Action: Semantic Web cluster would like to change their name to Semantic Technologies committee as it covers technology and socio-technology components.
    • Action: Determine if there are other technologies that should have more of a voice and are as mature as Semantic technologies? Strategically, it is something we, ESIP leadership, should consolidate as a legacy.
  2. Approval of August Minutes
    Denise motioned to approve Minutes as amended and Emily Law seconded. The minutes were approved by acclamation.
  3. Strategic Plan Executive Summary
    • Action: Motion to put forward the strategic plan summary to vote.
    • Action: Denise Hills moves to put it to a vote. Justin Goldstein seconds.
    No discussion, no abstentions. Approved.
  4. Additional discussion on Semantic Committee
    The question was asked when the change in designation will occur and if there needs to be a change to bylaws to have person sit on ExCom? Peter Fox noted that once put forward by ExCom, there is still a 30-day period before it can go to a vote with the General Assembly. Constitution and Bylaws changes will be required. We should arrange the changes in C&B to go out with the Committee vote. The language around the Executive Committee does not need to change. As soon as we add the next committee to the bylaws, we only need to update 5.1. In the interim, the president can appoint chairs in committees until such time as the election occurs.
    • Action: Peter Fox calls for a motion. The motion could be one of two motions: 1) Not sending the Semantic Technologies proposal to the Assembly for a vote and 2) sending the Semantic Technologies proposal to the assembly pending some minor modifications, 30-day period and collaboration with C&B with their amendments.
    Ken Keiser stated “I move that we move forward with promoting the Semantic Technologies Committee through the appropriate channels, the 30-day waiting period and then ultimately an electronic vote on the approval by the general assembly.”
    • Action: Before getting a second, between Peter Fox, Annie Burgess, Erin Robinson and Emily Law we will agree on your wording and confirm with you the person that is about to potentially second it.
    • Action: Denise H. seconds.
    Ken made a motion to move forward with promoting the Semantic Technologies Committee through the appropriate channels, the 30-day waiting period and then ultimately an electronic vote on the approval by the general assembly.” With no abstentions, we will move forward.
  5. President's Report
    Peter Fox reported that there was lots of good feedback on State of the Federation at the ESIP Summer Meeting.
    • Action: Peter Fox will call Denise Hills about nominations for awards.
  6. Staff Reports
    Executive Director
    Erin Robinson reports that there will be an ESIP/FES budget meeting on September 15th and Erin would like to have a special meeting devoted to the budget during a second call this month. We will skip additional staff reports in the interest of time.
  7. Committee Reports
    Partnership
    The ESIP partnership committee is starting on two additional tasks that came out of our strategic plan: (1) Update the ESIP members join page; and (2) Identify gaps in membership and target opportunities (recommendation).
    Education
    We're exploring the idea of building a finite series of professional development experiences around a single theme (drones, for instance). Our goal is to build awareness, skills, and knowledge about data science among educators through interaction with data scientists and hands-on experiences. We also plan to explore the possibilities of securing some funding for this through private foundations.
  8. Other Business
    Justin Goldstein is excited about the idea of a Semantic committee, but thinks it would help to see a bit more of the specificity of how the semantics could integrate with other ESIP clusters.
    • Action: Tom Narock will follow up on Justin's comment.
    • Action: Tom Narock will look at the strategic plan in light of the semantic web becoming a semantic web cluster. Will the actions have to be updated as a committee.
    • Action: Add item to next agenda about other technologies to promote.
    • Action: Confirm Ken Keiser's language on Semantic Committee motion.
    • Action: Annie Burgess will send out TOP guidelines.