Agclimate telecon 2014-05-06
- Cluster session at ESIP Summer 2014 Meeting, Copper Mtn/Frisco, CO (Session proposal and title)
- Invited speaker Mark Walbridge (USDA ARS LTAR) (tentative); inventory of NASA (and other) data and other assets; near-term focus on SMAP.
- Simon Liu (USDA NAL) (Winter 2015 Meeting?); compilation of a list of standards and specifications.
- Randy Johnson (TB invited) on USDA Regional Climate Hubs.
- LTAR meetings and possible Cluster participation (?)
- End of May 2014 in CO (programmatic)
- Aug. 2014 (data-oriented)
- USDA ARS' STEWARDS (Sustaining the Earth's Watersheds, Agricultural Research Data System)
- Agriculture and Climate theme for ESIP Winter Meeting (Jan. 2015)
- Draft title: Data and services for mitigating and adapting to climate effects in agriculture
Attendees: Erin Robinson, Nancy Hoebelheinrich, Barry Weiss, Reid Boehm, one other (?), Bill Teng
Summarizing meeting with Mark Walbridge and Simon Liu:
* Mark should be able to make it to the session if it is on Thursday
* seems better to try and address how to be useful - what can we offer that is not directly related to what they are doing - inventory of NASA data - focusing where we are coming from, something to focus on near-term is SMAP * Discuss how we do this as a group or with other working groups * Would want to have some ideas available to present at the Summer meeting, but not finished products * LTAR - the base sites all have base funding now - the data system parts are too early for being able to participate, but Simon is looking towards the winter meeting in DC * Randy Johnson is a possible speaker for the Summer meeting on the regional climate hubs - just needs to contact * Simon indicated interest in some standards and specifications from the Cluster that he could keep in mind, as the LTAR data system gets built.
==> QUESTION: Does anyone know whether such standards and specifications exist within ESIP?
* Barry Weiss can get together a presentation about SMAP features * Also mentioned GPM and OCO-2 (Barry will ask if someone at JPL can present on OCO-2). Bill can present something on GPM.
* 2 LTAR meetings coming up this summer - May and August (Talk about potential representation in CO in May by Erin or others). Location is Nunn, CO for the May LTAR meeting.
* The posted link is information that Mark mentioned in meetings - ongoing programs: ARS stewards
* Consideration for winter meetings - Erin Theme for with emphasis on agriculture and climate - plenary and sessions would focus more on this To announce in the summer meeting Jan 6-8 in Washington DC Looking for scientist (people at GSFC) to speak - and policy speaker (USDA) - also Bill Hohenstein as contact Create a list of people who might be good to ask Bill invites others to input into theme to go to visioneers: "Data and services for mitigating and adapting to climate effects in agriculture"
Next meeting, Tuesday, June 3, 2014 at 3pm EST