Action Items from Tempe Nov 2015 workshop

From Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP)

The following lists are action items developed by the interest groups developed at the Tempe Nov 2015 workshop.

Landscape Analysis and Gaps for Environmental Data Repositories

Action Items:

  • Connect COPDESS to Re3Data (KL will communicate with COS and to generate a process how repositories can fill in information most efficiently (3 scenarios): create new entries, edit existing entries in re3data; align entries in re3data and COPDESS)
  • Ensure all repositories at workshop have entries in that are up to date and accurate
  • Define what the landscape encompasses other than data repositories. What tools, services, workflows, institutions, organizations, federations, etc. that connect them, as first attempt to identify overlaps and gaps
  • Create a template or form that can be sent out to ESIP/CDF mailing list that will ask participants for feedback - maybe start w/ repositories first, to determine what networks they are a member of, and the nature of the connection - and plug this information into Synergy
  • At ESIP - set up station where meeting participants can provide feedback
  • Webinar series on integrative activities
  • Compile information about ongoing federations, collaborations, or interoperable networks of repositories
  • Beginning w/ networks of repositories identify their components
  • To be reported out during Winter ESIP CDF meeting
  • Talk to Ilya Semin (Datanyze) about his visualization tool (KL, CC)

LINK: [[1]]

Return on Investment ROI

Action Items:

  • Review JISC proposal to understand what is covered and how we can use (All)
  • Quantitative and qualitative methods of study for applicability
  • Discuss & summarize at ESIP Winter mtg
  • What methods are generic across the 3 data centers?
  • Look at supplementary papers for info about costs, and other details of doing the studies
  • Ruth will contact Josh Greenberg at Sloane re the funding of a planning grant to do a similar study
  • Anne will talk with Peter very informally about the possibility of an EAGER grant for planning and also look at the formal solicitation and report back at ESIP
  • In the planning grant, Include a literature / environment scan to see what has been already done in this area
  • Ruth to disseminate lecture info on this topic to group
  • Talk with Erin about setting up a cluster on this topic (Nancy)
  • Investigate bringing issue to RDA (Ruth talk to Mark Parsons)
  • Develop a 1 - 2 page statement about goals, (timeline) for the overall plan, i..e, the outcome of the longer term goal (At ESIP Winter) based on discussions from yesterday (see above) (TBD)
  • Define what we mean by ROI for this area
  • Anne to ask Matt Jones for relevant material DONE

LINK: [[2]]

Common Technical Vision

Action Items

  • Strengthen a technical community discussion of repository sustainability and interoperability features (inject DataONE Member node forum into ESIP cluster discussion --both Jan and July meetings)
  • entrain CDF as well
  • start by writing a cluster paragraph with Erin’s input -- Matt & Cyndy -- Dec 15 (make sure there is remote participation)
  • Articulate the objectives to be achieved via a federated approach (e.g., sustainability, interoperability, etc) (related to the ROI) (at Jan ESIP meeting 4-8 Jan)
  • For example, catalog interoperability
  • Compile use case listing articulating shared vision of technical sustainability and interoperability across repositories on shared space (Github please)
  • Start with compiling list of use case links for existing work (Matt, …)
  • Review these at Jan meeting, discuss process for expansion/edit/improvements
  • Articulate a high level conceptual framework (concept of operations) to satisfy the use cases --
  • Compile list of existing frameworks -- May 30 (Cyndy will coordinate)
  • Draft presented at July ESIP meeting -- decide who leads in January ESIP meeting (might be DataOne folks depending on the site review dates)
  • Identify the services / infrastructure essential for implementing the conceptual framework and determine the cost of providing such (community wide) services (conceptual equivalent of DNS for internet).
  • Compile existing lists
  • Discuss this July ESIP
  • Assign responsibility in January
  • Develop best practices for developers that include *good* validation tools and shared conventions and proposed changes in standards
  • Compile existing
  • Refine based on other work
  • Timing -- sometime in the future
  • Discuss with Peter and EAGER time about write a proposal to further support the design process (planning grant) (Mark Servilla) (by the end of this year)
  • E.g. A month of funding each for 12 people, designated person (e.g. environmental sciences masters or recent graduate) to facilitate the process
  • supplement to EAGER award or some other award
  • ESIP fellows just got awarded, Erin will check to see if there’s an option to get another ($2000 + travel). We want quite a bit more.

LINK: [[3]]

Return to main page: Collaborative Strategies for Sustained Environmental Data Management: Agenda & Notes (Tempe, AZ Nov 2015)