2018-05-02 Telecon Agenda & Notes
From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Return to IM Code Registry main page
Agenda for ESIP Information Management Code Registry (IMCR) Telecon 2 May 2018 at 14:00 EDT (60 min)
- Volunteer(s) for note-taking
- The Environmental Data Initiative is sponsoring a hackathon to initialize the IMCR with software projects and is being held at the University of New Mexico-Albuquerque, 12-14 June 2018.
- How can we prime participants and the hackathon space to maximize the likelihood of a successful event?
- What are some candidate projects for development?
- Set up a GitHub for the hackathon or use the ESIP wiki?
- Kristin Vanderbilt - Environmental Data Initiative & Long-term Ecological Research (Florida Coastal Everglades)
- Colin Smith - Environmental Data Initiative
- John Porter - Long-term Ecological Research (Virginia Coast Reserve)
- Stevan Earl - Long-term Ecological Research (Central Arizona Phoenix)
- A teleconference will be held a week or two prior the hackathon in which participants will receive a briefing on the agenda, general objectives, and how the hackathon will be run. Telecon participants will provide a brief personal/professional introduction.
- The hackathon format will generally follow the Opens Space Technology formulation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Space_Technology).
- A GitHub organization will be set up for the hackathon.
- Ice-breaker: Who are you? What do you do? How do you do it? What can’t you do now that you want to?
- Project ideas should evolve from activities in the morning of the 1st day, not prior to the event. Full participation will lead to an understanding of what tools need development, where the synergies are, and how to organize development.
- Project ideas: A quality control package for addressing common issues typical of different data types (e.g. sensor streams, species occurrence data, etc.). Interactive displays to explore data. Expand EMLassemblyline metadata maker to accommodate other data types (https://github.com/EDIorg/EMLassemblyline).
- How is IMCR different from rOpenSci? The scope of rOpenSci is not limited to information management.
- Are there unique aspects of the data types participants work with that need special consideration? Knowing this may improve development efforts.
- Poll participants for pre-hackathon teleconference date-time (Kristin).
- Set up GitHub organization (Colin).