2008-06-11: Community Air Quality Data Systems Telecon

From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners

Back to <Data Summit Workspace
Back to <Community Air Quality Data System Workspace

These minutes are by Joe Tikvart and are also available as a word doc.

Ad Hoc Advisory Committee -- Air Quality Data Summit

June 11, 2008, 2:00 – 3:00pm EDT
Conference Room C300A
Call-in 919-541-1590

Conference Call Meeting Notes

COMMITTEE MEMBERS, Attendees who announced themselves 6/11/08 bolded:

Rich Scheffe, Chair
Jeff Arnold
Sig Christensen
Phil Dickerson
Tim Dye / Steve Ludewig
Stefan Falk
Dirk Felton
Neil Frank
Val Garcia
Mike Gilroy / Ken Knowle
Bryan Hubbell
Amy Huff
Rudy Husar / Erin Robinson
Terry Keating
Bill Lamason
Sharon Leduc
Frank Lindsay
Phil Lorang
David McCabe
Shawn McClure
Nick Mangus
David Mintz
Tom Moore
Heidi Paulsen / Mike Uhl / Todd Plessel / others
Rich Poirot
Betty Pun
Tesh Rao
Bret Schichtel
Uma Shankar
Doug Solomon
Louis Sweeny /Mike Reich / Tamara Power-Drutis
Jim Szykman
Joe Tikvart
Gary Walter
Chet Wayland
Rob Willis
Steve Young

NEXT CONFERENCE CALL:

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 in Rm. C300A from 2:00 – 3:00pm EDT; call-in number is 919-541-1590. Topics for the next meeting may be submitted to Joe Tikvart ([email protected]) or identified in a new area on the wiki, along with relevant documents, at http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Community_Air_Quality_Data_System_Workspace . There will be no conference call on June 25.

COMMITTEE DISCUSSION:

Systems Assessment Update: Mike Reich at Ross & Associates indicated that he will have a significant role in preparing the systems assessment based on a list of questions that are being prepared. A small subcommittee (Dickerson, Lear, Mangus, Rao, Scheffe, Schichtel, Szykman, Tikvart) will assist in reviewing the basis for the assessment. That review will take place during the week of June 16. Interviews involving the systems being assessed may follow. Comments from the Interoperability Subcommittee could prove helpful. It is expected that a draft report (to be placed on the wiki) will be available for review by committee members at the end of July and a more formal review will take place at about the time of the conference call that is currently scheduled for August 20.

Interoperability Subcommittee Update:

There has been agreement on basic steps for piloting a WCS web service between AQS and AirNow nodes. There are plans to test and show applicability and to report out results. Bret Schichtel and Uma Shankar are participating with this pilot relative to VIEWS. Interest to involve RSIG (Todd Plessel) was also expressed; relevant on-going RSIG activities were described. At the present, the payloads to focus on first are CSV (comma separated values) and NetCDF with CGI KVP (common gateway interface key value pairs) as the messaging structure. Standard naming conventions, so that we are all speaking the same language, need to be determined. (That is, if someone wants continuous FRM-like PM2.5 data, but not the non-FRM-like data, how do they request that? What is it called?). Due to schedule conflicts for some key participants, there was agreement that the Interoperability Subcommittee call for June 18 should be cancelled, with the next call on July 2.

Action Items / Next call:

There will be no Ad Hoc Advisory Committee conference call on June 25. The next call with be Wednesday, July 9, 2:00 – 3:00pm EDT. For this call the agenda should include a further update on RSIG, and perhaps other systems of interest. Resources for metadata needs for CMAQ concerning data distribution systems should also be addressed; metadata on VIEWS / satellites is already being considered. Members should continue to access the Community Air Quality Data System at http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Community_Air_Quality_Data_System_Workspace .

Conference Call Agenda

Systems Assessment Update: (10 min)

  1. Ross & Associates prepping for and will begin conducting assessment soon
  2. Draft report (Integrated Summary of Assessment) end of July, final mid-August


Interoperability Subcommittee Update: (15 min)

  1. We have agreed to pilot a WCS web service between AQS and AirNow. We'd like to engage VIEWS to see if they want in on the pilot.
  2. The payloads to focus on first are CSV (comma separated values) and NetCDF.
  3. We'll use CGI KVP (common gateway interface key value pairs) as the messaging structure.
  4. We've still got to figure out what our standard naming conventions will be so that we are all speaking the same language. (That is, if someone wants continuous FRM-like PM2.5 data, but not the non-FRM-like data, how do they request that? What is it called?)

Wrap up/Action Items/Next call: (5 min)

Wednesday, July 9, 2:00-3:00pm EDT *** No call on June 25 ***