Winter Plenary Planning 2018

From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(November 2, 2017)
(November 2, 2017)
Line 30: Line 30:
 
** The two sessions resulted in action items which have resulted in a proposed session for ESIP Winter 2018 meeting. An additional output was that an agreement was reached to work on a white paper which covered a large breadth of Earth Science.
 
** The two sessions resulted in action items which have resulted in a proposed session for ESIP Winter 2018 meeting. An additional output was that an agreement was reached to work on a white paper which covered a large breadth of Earth Science.
  
* Discovery Cluster's Plenary
+
Discovery Cluster's Plenary
** The original potential topic for the Discovery cluster’s  plenary involves the selection of key datasets from ESIP constituent members and then focusing on discovery tools which make use of these datasets for some socioeconomic purpose.
+
* The original potential topic for the Discovery cluster’s  plenary involves the selection of key datasets from ESIP constituent members and then focusing on discovery tools which make use of these datasets for some socioeconomic purpose.
** Ideas for Plenary speakers involve
+
* Ideas for Plenary Panel speakers involve (Wednesday, Jan 10)
*** Bob Downs, SEDAC
+
** Bob Downs, SEDAC
*** Hook Hua, JPL (ARIA, Emergency Response)
+
** Hook Hua, JPL (ARIA, Emergency Response)
*** NOAA Chief Economist (DoC)
+
** Someone from the Virginia Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Center
*** Someone from the Virginia Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Center
+
 
*** Ann Bartuska, Resources for the Future (Bob Downs has already touched base with her at GEO. She has pretty much confirmed she will be able and willing to be a plenary speaker) http://www.rff.org/people/profile/ann-m-bartuska
+
Plenary speakers for Tuesday (Jan 9)
** Q: Is the reason for the plenary to understand difficulties people face when using tools?  
+
* Ann Bartuska, Resources for the Future (Plenary day before)  
** It would be useful to get a scope statement together which summarizes the plenary
+
* NOAA Chief Economist (DoC)
** It would be good to provide the scope statement and expectations from the invited speakers while inviting them to speak
+
 
** It would be useful to invite people together from both ends of the spectrum e.g. a problem person and a solutions person.
+
Other Q's and notes
 +
* Q: Is the reason for the plenary to understand difficulties people face when using tools?  
 +
* It would be useful to get a scope statement together which summarizes the plenary
 +
* It would be good to provide the scope statement and expectations from the invited speakers while inviting them to speak
 +
* It would be useful to invite people together from both ends of the spectrum e.g. a problem person and a solutions person.
  
 
=== Action Items ===  
 
=== Action Items ===  
 
# Scope statement needs to be produced which summarizes the plenary
 
# Scope statement needs to be produced which summarizes the plenary
 
# Clarify and formalize the list of speakers for the plenary
 
# Clarify and formalize the list of speakers for the plenary

Revision as of 13:17, 6 November 2017

Contents

Winter Plenary Planning 2018

Meeting minutes

November 2, 2017

Attendees:

David Moroni, Erin Robinson, Ge Peng, Hampapuram Ramapriyan, Lewis McGibbney, Robert Downs. Annie Burgess, Dave Neufeld

Apologies

Agenda:

Discuss the logistics of planning a plenary Erin and Lewis to carry this back to Data Discovery Committee

Minutes:

  • Discussion regarding Information Quality Cluster's sessions at Summer 2017 ESIP Meeting:
    • Focused discussion on uncertainty required experts. This topic seemed to always be difficult to engage with as it required expert input which was difficult to obtain.
    • List of experts was put together months before.
    • Information Quality Cluster held a vote. Votes were collected in a Google Spreadsheet with voting being anonymous. There was an concerted effort to invite panelists from different perspectives.
    • Invitations to the experts were sent out. Invitations included a clear indication of what the IQC members were hoping to get from the speakers and a set of key questions they were asked to address.
    • This resulted in 4 experts. The experts were from different sectors.
    • Three spoke at the plenary and the fourth at the breakout session (see below).
    • Speakers were contacted and a template was devised to communicate a clear message as to what was required for the plenary and from their background as an expert.
    • Two planning meetings took place prior to ESIP. The first planning meeting was 5-6 weeks prior to ESIP, the second was 2-3 weeks prior. The meetings enabled both organizers and panel members to contribute to content. Speakers were able to present ideas and receive feedback from organizers. The content worked best when it was tailored to non-experts in the topic area.
    • Support from ESIP: $5,000 was provided by ESIP to cover plenary speaker travel costs. Additionally, one day registration was covered or a discount towards registration if they planned to stay for the entire meeting. (Each of the plenary speakers chose to attend just one day of the meeting).
    • Plenary organizers coordinated introduction speeches so they were flowing smoothly and without too much overlapping; Plenary organizers also developed the social plans for introducing our two sessions and speakers to the ESIP community before and during the mtg/session(s).
    • 45 minute plenary with immediate follow-up session directly after (i.e., right after lunch). Having a lunch break between the plenary and breakout sessions was helpful in getting prepared for the breakout session by identifying key issues raised at the plenary to continue a productive discussion of the issues.
    • The two sessions resulted in action items which have resulted in a proposed session for ESIP Winter 2018 meeting. An additional output was that an agreement was reached to work on a white paper which covered a large breadth of Earth Science.

Discovery Cluster's Plenary

  • The original potential topic for the Discovery cluster’s plenary involves the selection of key datasets from ESIP constituent members and then focusing on discovery tools which make use of these datasets for some socioeconomic purpose.
  • Ideas for Plenary Panel speakers involve (Wednesday, Jan 10)
    • Bob Downs, SEDAC
    • Hook Hua, JPL (ARIA, Emergency Response)
    • Someone from the Virginia Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Center

Plenary speakers for Tuesday (Jan 9)

  • Ann Bartuska, Resources for the Future (Plenary day before)
  • NOAA Chief Economist (DoC)

Other Q's and notes

  • Q: Is the reason for the plenary to understand difficulties people face when using tools?
  • It would be useful to get a scope statement together which summarizes the plenary
  • It would be good to provide the scope statement and expectations from the invited speakers while inviting them to speak
  • It would be useful to invite people together from both ends of the spectrum e.g. a problem person and a solutions person.

Action Items

  1. Scope statement needs to be produced which summarizes the plenary
  2. Clarify and formalize the list of speakers for the plenary
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox